• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Oil Pressure?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
1988 Renix: Hey all, my pressure runs from ~60 to solid 80 (or above) under acceleration/load. Is this high? In my head an analogy to cholesterol and high blood pressure fits... Fresh oil change, however it sat all winter and I just got it. I want to do a seafoam/engine cleaner treatment- the one where you fill the cleaner, idle for 5 minutes, dump and refill.
Can anyone help me out? Maybe walk me through the proper seafoam cleansing?
Thanks a bunch..

Don't worry about high oil pressure. Your XJ engine is not like your body. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the seafoam. And I CERTAINLY wouldn't worry about it if I hadn't even verified it with a mechanical gage on the motor. You could try to lower it by putting on a Fram filter. (LOL)

High Oil Presure Is good. (as long as you have close to the corect oil in the motor)

I love seafoam. I recomend you feed it into the air intake VERY slowly until you see a signifigant amount of smoke. shut down for 5-10 minutes, then run the heck out of it for a bit. You should do this in a field, in the midle of no-where, or your neghbors will hate you, and tell the fire department not to come. you should also run a can through with a tank of gas after you do the initial carbon blasting.

High Oil Presure Is good. (as long as you have close to the corect oil in the motor)

High pressure would show that the pump is ok, but wouldn't it indicate a blockage or crud in passageways?

Thanks for the tips, will try to locate a field in the middle of nowhere...

Could be nasty...350 miles on new change, also added some "oil leak stopper" for ten bucks: probably garbage, but you never know...

If high pressure is ok, I'll change her after 1k or so. If it's nasty then I'll try something to get the crud out.

Rent a mechanical gauge and verify the real pressure.

Your sending unit is probably crapping out.

Back