• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a Rally Wink Mirror in my 2000 XJ

suprbst

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to install something in my new 2000 Cherokee that I had in my previous '89 (totalled/rear-ended 6 years ago) - a Rally Wink Mirror. I kept the one I had in my '89, along with all the other goodies that were in it. Here's what they look like: http://0299c72.netsolstores.com/mirrors.aspx

Anyway, it's a panel mirror that lets you see behind & around you in your blind spots, and I found it useful in past use. In my '89, the P.O. had it mounted to the windshield via 2 mirror mounts that glued on like a stock piece. These sucked after a while, because I ran fast over a particularly rocky section of trail & one of the mounts broke loose. I bought a replacement kit, but I could never get it to stay stuck on there reliably after that. So, since the kit comes with brackets that attach to the ends of the mirror and then are screwed to the metal behind the headliner surrounding the top of the windshield, I'm going to use this method to securely mount it.

My question is this: Since I've got the overhead console, can I just unscrew that & swing it away & carefully peel back the headliner to expose the metal & screw the brackets up there without having to do major work to remove the headliner? Do I need to remove the plastic molding on both sides of the pillars? I plan to screw the brackets to the metal, then cut a slit in the headliner to let the bracket poke through for a relatively clean installation.

Thanks for the info, and I'll post up some pics after I finish if anyone else is interested.

So I'm finally getting around to trying to mount the thing in my Jeep. Here's basically what it looks like & where it should go:

3734130279_c9dceb8e68.jpg

3734132121_fc684e5412.jpg

3734133159_689bc0c348.jpg

I'm assuming I'll have to remove the screws holding the center overhead console at the front, but are there clips also holding it elsewhere?

3734928804_f3a62dce18.jpg

I figured while I've got the whole dash taken apart to put in my new stereo head unit with bluetooth, as it needs access to behind all the trim to route the microphone wire, I'd just do all the installations that require pulling this stuff apart. I've got a couple switches to install in the overhead to control the backup camera (so I don't actually have to be backing up to use it) and the 55w backup lights I put on, but haven't wired yet.

Any input or pictures of how all this stuff comes apart, and in what order, would be appreciated. I've got more pics of the Jeep & what I've been doing to it so far here. Just piddling around with it with maintenance, functional mods, and cosmetic stuff until November, when my other car is paid off. Then I'll be socking away more $$ at a greater rate for the lift & the rest of the build, hopefully including stroking the engine after the rest of the suspension & skid plating is done.

Thanks again!

Here's the mirror, installed, but not totally finished:

The brackets for mounting it:

Hopefully that will put it far enough forward of the overhead console, but if not, it's off to the hardware store for some flat galvanized steel & some screws & nylock nuts.

Last edited:
Back