• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Leak

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I've found several threads that skirt what appears to be my issue, but none that directly address it. This is on my 97 4.0/Auto.

I've noticed the PS fluid get low afew times and figured I had a small leak. Sometimes there are spots on the pavement, sometimes there are not. At the time I figured I'd monitor it and continue to add PS fluid.

About a month ago (one of the first really hot days), I started the jeep and let it idle for about 15 minutes while I was waiting on family. When I started to back out, I got a small puff of thin white smoke. I assumed it was just excess fluid burning off of hot parts. I had to turn the wheel to lock or near lock to back out of the parking spot when I got the smoke.

Last week I went to dinner and had to backup and pull forward to squeeze into a parking space. Once again the wheel was at lock or near lock, and I got some smoke.

Today, I had to really squeeze to get into a parking spot. Turning the wheel to lock several times to get in. I got more smoke.

I popped the hood and noticed the following. The shaft from the steering wheel had a spot of fluid on it, and there appears to be fluid sitting on a lip on the inside subframe. One thing to note, is that I've never noticed fluid on the steering shaft before.

The following picture shows the wet spot on the steering shaft, and you can see wet clean PS fluid sitting on the lip.
IMG00073_20090709_0820.jpg

I'm assuming it's either a line or the steering box. And due to the small amount of fluid I appear to be losing and that the problem seems to happen at or near wheel lock. I hope the low pressure line.

From reading other threads, I know the low pressure line is just tranny line (which is why I hope it's the low pressure line). I also know that flair nut wrenches are a must for the job. Lastly, I have a parts 98 XJ that doesn't appear to be leaking as donor parts.

Any help or suggestions would be great before I tear into this blind. I also have not gotten anyone to turn the wheel while I look for a spray of fluid. Once the Jeep cools down, I'm going to remove the air box, wipe everything down, and try that.

Last edited:
Your hopes are against odds. Usually it is the pump leaking. Next likely is the high pressure line. It leaks more when you turn, so that also indicates high pressure line. I wouldn't re-use an old high pressure line. They aren't that expensive. Either way make sure to use a NEW seal ring at the fitting. They are not supossed to be re-used.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware that a new hose was $17.99 from autozoo. The hose seems to come with a hardware kit with 2 o rings. Are those the ring seals you are referring too?

Lastly, I went out and pulled the air box and wiped the steering shaft, both PS hoses, and the frame rail down with paper towels. There was no evidence of a fresh leak, but atleast it will be easier to chase a leak on clean parts.

The wet stains I've seen have been clear, so in my mind it would have to be brake fluid or power steering fluid. Either way, I will continue to monitor the fluid levels until I can fix this issue.

Unless anyone else has any suggestions, I guess I'll just keep monitoring and looking for the leak.

IIRC the assembly goes O-ring, spacer, O-ring. You can re-use the spacer, but not the o-rings

If it were me I'd clean that whole area, all around the area and anything it may or might have leaked on to with some Simple Green and a hose to make sure it's all clean(as in very clean). Much easier to find a leak that way, besides I'm into a clean engine bay. Makes everything so much easier to work with.

Have someone turn your wheel, lock to lock, while it's running and watch for leakage

X2 - get underneath it while it's cleaned up while someone turns the wheel lock to lock. If you think it could be the brakes, have them hold down the brake pedal hard too. You should be able to see the leak.

dont overlook the easy items as well. I have had to just simply tighten down the lines where they connect to the steering box and have had that solve my leaking problem more then once on various rigs.

Back