• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water in diff fluid?

Banditt007

NAXJA Forum User
I crossed some water late last night that got up to the bottom of my rockers in my stock 98' XJ. Today I got to checking my diffs after a drive home from work. I did it right after the drive b/c i figured the oil would foam up like a milkshake if i had water in it.

THe front checked out totally fine. The rear however had some BUBBLES, but i think that might be normal. It wasn't fine 'micro' milkshake type foam/bubbles.When I dipped my finger in the diff and pulled it out there was fluid on my finger w/ about 10 bubbles or so suspended in the fluid. I did not see any water droplets on it. Fluid otherwise seemed fine, no creamy look to it or anything. The front diff did not have the bubbles but i checked the front AFTER i checked the rear so maybe it was the same thing (normal operation) but sat long enough (3 min) to settle down.

I'm going to hit the grease fittings tomorrow since i have some w/ torn boots. i pulled back the booties on the caliper slide pins and we are looking okay there.

Does this sound normal? If one had a small amount of water in the diffs, after a drive would the oil milk shake up/foam up? or would you not be able to tell?

The only way water would get in there is if you didn't have your breather hooked up or you have bad seals... you should be fine... I am sure someone will chime in here shortly.

run your vent lines high!! Its worth it in the end! the alloy usa outer axles seals really help the front diff keep dry too!

Back