• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

modified stock bumper

ice820c

NAXJA Forum User
ok. i really like custom bumpers, i think they make a jeep look sweeter. but has anyone ever heard of cutting holes in their stock front bumpers and putting d-ring mounts into the frame at their strongest point and then putting the stock bumper back on for a clean look? i have searched and dont think i have come across anything like this. hope you guys can help. if u have pics lemme see em please!:dunce:

if you want to build a system. remove bumper, open the unibody "frame rail" add your D ring mount, cut bumper and put bumper back on. I haven't done this yet but I am working on it. The key is making sure that you have inforced the unibody to take the added weight and the stress of pulling. IMO buy the backbone system and be done with it. But I like the challenge and the design aspect.

While the Detour set-up may be great for tow points it does nothing to protect your vehicle!

RCP Phx said:
While the Detour set-up may be great for tow points it does nothing to protect your vehicle!

The system was never intended to be more than it's discribed to be,
what it does, it does very well.

In the winter months ahead, we'll be looking into reinforcing the back
side of the stock bumper when used with the BackBone, January is
typically a slow month for us and a good time to develope 'options'.

RCP Phx said:

Great, but thats not it's purpose. It's for a solid recovery system without losing the look and/or approach angle of your stock bumper. Alot of people that wheel don't need a HD front bumper because it protects their rig. A good number of us don't run into shit all of the time, so it's not a concern. The Detour system does what it was designed to do. If you are looking for armor, then go somewhere else.............:lecture:

Edit: ya beat me to it............:laugh3:

RCP Phx said:
you cant beat a piece of 2X4 rectangle with 1-1/4" DOM bent for a grillguard, loose the piece of tin and build a real bumper.

Its not D-Links but i mounted a winch behind a slightly mooded stock bumper.

196034865.jpg

196034875.jpg

196034835.jpg

196034906.jpg

I could be mistaken, but I really don't think the stock bumper can handle the force of the winch if you were stuck really bad. You might be ok if you were just barely stuck.

But take my advice. Get a good, sturdy, heavy bumper.

If you were stuck really bad, in a blizzard or something, and you were trusting your Jeep with your life, would you rather have a good solid bumper that will allow your winch to pull you out, or would you rather your stock bumper get ripped off leaving you stranded in the middle of nowhere??

Trust me, recovery equipment is the most important part of you Jeep. Don't skimp, you will regret it.

Im in the process of building a frame for my stock bumper. No more bumper mounts either. The frame will mount to the XJs subframe, then the actual bummper will be bolted onto the bumper frame. It will take a bit of a beating, and you could always add d-rings to the frame, Im thinking I might. Reason I did it like this, is because I have a custom grill guard, and I like my chrome bumpers.

that IS what i want.period. i dont wheel all the time, all i need is recovery gear. i understand a heavy new front bumper is probly the way to go.... but i jus dont see myself payin all that money whenn all i want is a place to mount d-rings. definetly no towhooks b/c it seem they bend at angles(ive heard alot of this on here and jeepforum)i definetly need to get those measurements.

The winch set has been proven on a few occasions and no movement at all. The winch tray is a modified RSJ (steel girder) section and the whole thing is tied to the XJ frame usig 1/4 plate and m12 Grade 8 stainless bolts it has also taken some hits head on and survived no problems.

196615252.jpg

had to pull this out backwards it was sitting on its axles and the mud was like quick sand.

196615254.jpg

91 Jeep Project said:
A good number of us don't run into shit all of the time, so it's not a concern.

That cracked me up! I fear that if I had one of the big bumpers I would be waaaay more tempted to run into things all the time, like idiot drivers who don't pay attention....

ice820c said:
that IS what i want.period. i dont wheel all the time, all i need is recovery gear. i understand a heavy new front bumper is probly the way to go.... but i jus dont see myself payin all that money whenn all i want is a place to mount d-rings. definetly no towhooks b/c it seem they bend at angles(ive heard alot of this on here and jeepforum)i definetly need to get those measurements.

A d-ring isn't necessarily stronger than a tow hook. It all depends on the mounting system.

ice820c said:
If that's all you want, get some C4x4 shackle brackets that mount on tow hook brackets. http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=38
EDIT: Another option is 1/4" plate placed where aftermarket bumper mounts go, have them protrude through the stock bumper, and add more quarter inch plate to thicken up the protrusions for shackles.

i kno that a tow hook cannot w/stand side pulls... ive read that alot. the way d-rings look seem to have better angle pulling than a hook. jus my opinion. but i must say those d-rings on rustys looks pretty nice.. any experiences? plus the link someone sent earlier to go to jeepforum and look at thread #21 should give ya'll and idea of what i want.

Cyberbackpacker is the one who already showed me the link earlier in the thread go to it and see what i mean

Back