• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Computer Codes in Late Model XJ's

BrianJr

NAXJA Forum User
A couple of days ago the check engine light came on in my 1999 XJ. I did some searching and found out about the on-off-on-off... technique for retrieving the codes. That didn't work.

I kept looking and found that in some Chrysler cars you can press the trip reset button while turning the ignition to on. That appears to work. The odometer will read 2.3 for a few seconds after doing this.

The next question is what do the various codes mean on a 1999 XJ? I did find this site but I have no reason to trust it. Does anyone have anything verifying that the site is or is not correct.

Last question - if this listing is right then it is my incoming air temp sensor that is triggering the warning. What is this beast - is it something that is effected by water & mud? The reason I ask is it came on right after going through a hole with some very thick paste like mud.

Thanks for all of your help,
-Brian

The key clicky trick for code retrieval will only work on some early year thru mid year 97's builds, and of course older model XJ's. It won't work on some later built 97's, and won't work at all on'98s and up. The only thing the key clicky trick will do for you is run a diagnostics test on your instrument cluster. You will need an OBDII scan tool to retrieve trouble codes.

The codes on the site you posted are accurate....

Ivan

What do you mean by 'diagnostics test on your instrument cluster'? Are there differant codes for that test and if so what do they mean?

The reason I ask is because it appears to work and the code returned, according to the AllPar site, does not appear to have anything to do with the instrument cluster. But I don't know what I'm talking about so all the help you can offer is appreciated. :)

-Brian

Ivan said:
The only thing the key clicky trick will do for you is run a diagnostics test on your instrument cluster. You will need an OBDII scan tool to retrieve trouble codes.

By diagnostics test on the instrument cluster, I mean that the guages will cycle (gas, oil, temp, etc, needles will bounce around), trouble or warning lights (seat belt, air bag, etc) will flash, and the odometer will go through a count down sequence.... just pretty much runs a test on your dash cluster to indicate what is working and what is not...

However, you will not get the actual overall XJ trouble codes you were hoping for. Again, the only way to retrieve them would be with a OBDII scanner. Chrysler disabled, or altered the code gather capabilities on mid year or so 97's and up, so you need the scan tool....

Ivan

So what is the 23 that appears on the odometer when I hold the trip reset while turing the key to on?

-Brian

Ivan said:
However, you will not get the actual overall XJ trouble codes you were hoping for. Again, the only way to retrieve them would be with a OBDII scanner. [/B]

I dunno... perhaps an "end of dash diagnostics sequence code"? I get it too when I run the dash test...

BTW... click the link below... almost same as yours, but it covers mid to late 1990's, 2000's... Your link was for slightly older models...

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html

Read the 6th bullet item down....

"J. Peters said that Jeeps made after model year 1997 require an ODB reader - the lamp method doesn't work. [This may have changed] "

Pretty much confirms you need the OBDII scan reader to retrieve codes....

I saw that page - it was one of the places that talked about the trip reset trick (the two bullets above the one you listed). I had also seen a post somewhere (sorry, I don't have the link right now) where a guy with a 99 used the trip reset trick and it worked for him.

I guess I will have to have the computer codes scanned and see if they match up.

Thanks again,
-Brian

Ivan said:
I dunno... perhaps an "end of dash diagnostics sequence code"? I get it too when I run the dash test...

BTW... click the link below... almost same as yours, but it covers mid to late 1990's, 2000's... Your link was for slightly older models...

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html

Read the 6th bullet item down....

"J. Peters said that Jeeps made after model year 1997 require an ODB reader - the lamp method doesn't work. [This may have changed] "

Pretty much confirms you need the OBDII scan reader to retrieve codes....

The site you are referring to could be GoJeeps... The key test seems to work for him, but he's in Australia or something like that. Perhaps exported XJ's have different diagnostic set up's; but it won't work on the year models I mentioned for U.S. XJ's.....

Ivan

Has anyone had any experience with any of the other scanners?
AutoXray or Actron? Other? For an OBD II system.
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

A 2 3 code is for the Intake air temp sensor.This can trip either high voltage or low voltage.A generic code# P0112--voltage low, #P0113--voltage high .
Cold mud and water could trigger the sensor or it may have gotten water inside.
You could pull the sensor and clean it with carb cleaner,but you may have to have the code cleared by a scanner.
Wayne

Back