• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering / front suspension questions

sus scrofa

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, here's the first of many questions I have. I've done a lot of reading on this site and others and it's been a great help so far. I would have become discouraged and driven the Jeep into the ocean if not for all the great info you guys put out there. It gives me hope that I can fix all this stuff without selling my kidneys or going insane.

I had a rather loud popping sound when making right turns. I had someone turn the wheel while I was under the front and felt around. It seemed to be coming from the sway bar links. I replaced those. Now I have a not-so-loud popping sound when making right turns.

Question 1: I can grab the drag link and rotate it pretty easily. It only turns so far, of course, but it makes a sharp clank at the stops, if that makes sense. I mean as I turn it back and forth it sounds like metal hitting metal, when it doesn't turn anymore. That's not the way it's supposed to be, right? Are the tie rod ends shot? I'm assuming my popping sound is this or the next thing.

Question 2: The track bar doesn't have any side-to-side movement, but at the driver's side, it moves up and down about half an inch. That's not supposed to be like that either, right? I need a new one, yes?

Question 3: I have a slight shake that I really start to feel at 50 MPH and it gets worse the faster I go. If I drive at highway speeds for a while, the front wheels and lug nuts get hot, really hot, too-hot-to-touch hot. Could this be caused by issue 1 or 2? Or is it something else?

4: What do you recommend I replace these parts with? I would like good quality parts that aren't too expensive. Is there a kit or something that replaces all this stuff? I'm not going to lift it (except maybe an inch when I get to replacing the leaf springs), but this Jeep will spend at least half its time in the dirt, so I'd like to have good solid components under there.

One thing at a time. :)

Start out with what you know is bad - replace the track bar. I bought a stock one at NAPA for about $75 if I remember, it took an hour to put in. I had a popping noise when turning into parking spots, that fixed it.

Mark

Back