• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash lights blow fuse when shifted into park? Suggestions needed...

XJJeepNewb

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ which has been blowing the 5 amp fuse for the dash lights (instrument panel illumination, center stack illumination, etc).

I replaced the headlight/dimmer switch with a known good unit and ran to the store to buy some more fuses, replaced it in the parking lot. On the way home it got dark so I turned on the lights to check them, they worked fine and I drove home with the lights on.

When I pulled into the driveway I shifted it to 'Park' and the instrument panel lights immediately went out.

What could possibly cause this?

Electrical troubleshooting isn't my strength so any good suggestions to start checking things out would be helpful.

Thanks for any help, Keith

i know there is a light that lights up the gear selections, maybe its pinching a wire when putting in park causing it to short out?

EDIT TO ADD- yep that was it. I pulled the bezel and the light had fallen out and landed next to the shifter. It slightly nicked the orange wire and caused the short. taped it up and stuck it back in the bezel and it's working fine now.

Glad you found it. When I got my 98 Limited it would stall every time I shifted into reverse and it ended up being the parking brake wire has come loose in the same fashion as yours and was rubbing as I shifted.

Back