• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Skid Question from a Noobie

16guns

NAXJA Forum User
I found a new never installed Rusty's engine skid with hardware for a long arm set up for $45.00 bones. I have a RC short arm set up and was wondering if it would still offer good protection while enabeling me to re- use it in the future when I get a Long Arm set up? I am sure there will be many eyes rolling over this one!:dunno:

Get the Rusty's engine trans skid and put it on. I have had my problems with Rustys stuff but I will sing the praises of that skid loud and long. I dont believe there is anyone who offers an engine-trans skid that works with long arms other than the glue on oil pan skids.

For $45 you should do it even if you wheel it for just this summer before putting on the long arms ($700+). Depending which LA kit you get you may be able to modify it to work. You will be surprised what you can do with the SA's, and they often work a lot better than LA radius arms on steep climbs, especially coming up over the top.

Put it on and if you have rock rails come on out to Crozet on an open weekend and I will show just how valuable that skid is.

John

Last edited:
Thanks , I just wasn't sure if the long arm set up skid would not protect as well with short arms. I have a RC 4.5" lift(previous owner installed it 3mos before I purchased it) and I am not sure if I want to go with RC drop brackets and adjustable Ca's or a completely new lift.

Thats a nice lift. If you already have rock rails, T-case, gas tank and diff armor then the engine-trans skid is great. If you dont have at least the stock skids go hit the local pick and pulls there is one just north of Oceana NAS an on directly across (east) from Oceana where you can usually find at least one XJ with factory stuff on it after checking for a few weekends.

Its not that the skid wont protect as well the problem is that it wont fit AT ALL. All of the engine-trans skids use the stock control arm brackets which you usually have to cut off and then you run into all kinds of clearance issues along both sides of the motor with new long arms and the skid plate pan that goes under the oil pan and the trans pan.

Most folks on long arms feel they are so high that they cant hit the oil pan so they dispense with the skid. The trans pan is lower and further back making it even more exposed (auto trans) so when you put on LA's and get rid of the skid IMHO I think you run a bigger risk of damage but I am on short arms at 4.5" and beat the heck out of my skid all the time so i dont speak from LA experience here.

John

If I call Rusty's and order a bracket for a short arm to use with the skid would that work? ( The skid itself looks the same just the bracket seems different) I have Rock Rails and uniframe stiffeners and Rusty's gas tank skid. I don't have xfer or diff armor yet.

You shouldnt need to order anything for it to work with ANY short arm system.

Passenger side of the skid plate pan is attached using the bolt that holds in the passenger side control arm at the frame end.

Driver side of the skid plate has a big U shaped brace that bolts to the side the skid plate pan, goes up over the drive shaft and the back down to attach to the bolt that holds in the driver side control arm at the frame.

The back end of the skid plate bolts to the stock cross member you have to drill 2 holes in the cross member to put bolts through. I use nylocks on top and 3/8ths pan head lag bolts that index in the slots already in the skid plate.

Here is a picture. http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...Product_Code=RA-JS11-XJ&Category_Code=xj_skid

I cant believe I am posting a link to Rustys site after blasting him for my two broken control arms, but I do love the skid plate. Note the price new and what you are going to pay for yours. Dont be and idiot buy it.

Edit: Well dog gone, time to each crow. Looks like Rustys has some sort of long arm version. I have no idea if thats a different plate or different mounts or both. What they show in the picture is what I have for my short arm rig.

John

I'll call them and ask if it will work...I figure for 45 bones if it does not work I could sell it for the same amount to some one who needs one. Then I'll just get the short arm version.

The ears probably attach using the same bolts as the upper arm frame mounts. It puts one heck of a lot of stress on the sheet metal welds that hold the inner ears on but in the long run thats a much much cheaper repair than a new oil pan/pump or trans pan/valve body. You would probably have to land hard a bunch of times to tear the ears off. I'd say buy it, its a steal and try it. If you dont like It I will dimension my U brace and and you can have a shop bend one up. Its a real simple design. Send me a pm sometime if you want the dimensions.

John

Thanks I appreciate it. Rob

Back