• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Discuss.....

More power
More torque
Same gas mileage
Much easier to work on
V8 sound :D
Plus i was surprised when i was fitting mine, everything fits in with room to spare even around the tranny.

This is exactly what I want to do. Smog is going to be my worst enemy but I may have a mailbox that I can use that does not require smog. Do you think this is what they had in mind?:D
DSC04134.jpg

This definetley sounds like a great idea, my XJ is the 1st non V8 i've driven.

So you would also need to re-build your suspension because of the weight right? I would think frame stiffening, new shocks, and springs would also be in order right?

There was a guy at the 25th anniversary Fall Fling in Moab with a LS1. Talk about a tight fit. The exhaust headers were 1/8th of an inch from the firewall and did show some contact when torque'd. Still would be schweet

This definetley sounds like a great idea, my XJ is the 1st non V8 i've driven.

So you would also need to re-build your suspension because of the weight right? I would think frame stiffening, new shocks, and springs would also be in order right?

Springs maybe, definitely some unibody stiffeners, which if your jeepspeed, you should do ayways. Shocks, maybe a retune.....

I have a 5.3 with the 4L60e and transfer case with the harfness and all the sensors need to run it out of an 03 Chevy that I am thinking about swapping in.

•4.0L I6, 515 lbs
•GM Small Block V8 (LS1), 407 lbs.

You forget that the LS1 is all aluminum. Much lighter than the tank of a cast iron motor we got now.
Just swapped in a 3.4 in our desert truck and yeah... The ls1 is lighter... Be you a chev or ford guy you have to admit the ls1 is a great replacement for the small block chev in our retro-fit world.

I have a swap going in my head for the last few months... If I was going to do it, it would be a chrysler 4.7L V8 out of a grand cherokee, with the 45RFE trans. More power, and better MPG's. Plus I think it would be alot easier to get it approved by the smog referee. Chrysler SUV-chrysler engine/trans-chysler coumputers. it's basically plug and play if I find one out of 2000-2001 WJ. I could steel the one out of the wifes, but she might get mad.

I have a swap going in my head for the last few months... If I was going to do it, it would be a chrysler 4.7L V8 out of a grand cherokee, with the 45RFE trans. More power, and better MPG's. Plus I think it would be alot easier to get it approved by the smog referee. Chrysler SUV-chrysler engine/trans-chysler coumputers. it's basically plug and play if I find one out of 2000-2001 WJ. I could steel the one out of the wifes, but she might get mad.

From what i hear the 4.7 is too wide to fit in an XJ.

IIRC this Jeep has an LS1 in it i think his SN is 96XJ classic or something like that.

S7300565.jpg

S7300567.jpg

There was a guy at the 25th anniversary Fall Fling in Moab with a LS1. Talk about a tight fit. The exhaust headers were 1/8th of an inch from the firewall and did show some contact when torque'd. Still would be schweet

Look at my previous post. That is the one with the LS1 right?

Although it looks hot, and I have seen one for sale on eBay, I don't think I'd do it. Just seems like it might be overkill. Plus you'd probably want to stiffen the unibody up pretty good, and don't you have to get rid of the heater and a/c to drop it in? I think I heard somewhere it makes fitment a lot easier if you remove all that stuff, which I wouldn't want to.
I still kinda don't see why a 5.2L or 5.9L out of a ZJ or Dakota would be a bad option if you just took the engine, trans and maybe t-case along with the computer and wiring. At that point I don't think there would be much "adapting" to do, the whole drivetrain would just be in a different vehicle. Granted you'd probably still have to stiffen up the unibody.

Back