• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown speakers?

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
I put in a Sony Xplod head unit about a year ago. About six months ago my front door speakers stopped working, no sound at all. The rear ones are fine. I thought it might have been a wiring issue, but now i noticed if i turn the volume up to near max. some sound comes from the door speakers. Really crappy sounds, but its sound...
So blown speaker seems to be the only thing i can think of. Any other possibilities i should look into??

I put in a Sony Xplod head unit about a year ago. About six months ago my front door speakers stopped working, no sound at all. The rear ones are fine. I thought it might have been a wiring issue, but now i noticed if i turn the volume up to near max. some sound comes from the door speakers. Really crappy sounds, but its sound...
So blown speaker seems to be the only thing i can think of. Any other possibilities i should look into??

Yeah they are toast. Factory speakers usually don't fair too well with an aftermarket head unit.

another possibility is that the front channels of the internal amp on the head unit are fried.

Test the speakers, then test the wires.

Attach the suspect front speakers to a known good speaker wire in the rear.

Attach a known good speaker to the suspect front wires. Broken front speaker wires are common.

Three choices -
bad speaker
bad wires
bad head unit

Test the speakers, then test the wires.

Attach the suspect front speakers to a known good speaker wire in the rear.

Attach a known good speaker to the suspect front wires. Broken front speaker wires are common.

Three choices -
bad speaker
bad wires
bad head unit

It seems like the front wires go thru alot of stress in the hinge, which i why i thought i would have to replace them untill i heard a noise in the speakers. So there is some connectivity in the line. I tried using an old papercone stock speaker to swap in to no avail, maybe that one was blown as well??

So that kind of rules out the bad wires and bad speakers, how could i test the head unit??
Lets the say the head unit is the problem and the front channels are shot. Then could i go back to the harness and just wire the front speakers onto the rear wires?? It wouldnt be as loud, but atleast all my sound wouldnt come from the rear right?

if yours is a 97+ then you are having the same problem as me your front channels on the factory amp are fried I just change my head unit and the speakers yesterday to no avail.. I am still trying to figure out where the amp is though.

You should go ahead and temporarily run some bypass wires to verify it's the speaker. That should be pretty easy to do; I can remove my head unit in my MJ in like 3 seconds.

When I bought my 2000 the front speakers didnt work....so I bought some new kenwoods and installed them....still no sound. It was the stupid amp.

I never did take the time to locate it. I just ran new wires from the new head unit I installed. No problems since.

Had the same problem in mine, it was the wire that goes through the door hinge, took about an hour to splice and get it connected and all put back together, test speakers by putting them in the rear slots.

Used Cherokee head units are not that expensive on eBay.

If you have a factory amp (1997-2001), it is located under the rear seat bottom on the drives side.

Back