• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 U-joints?

ryanlight415

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody. I just joined 15 minutes ago and this is my 1st thread. Im building a dana 30 front axle for my 98 xj. The front axle is from a 94 and has the smaller u joints with 1 and 1/16 caps. I plan on re-gearing to 4.56's and a detroit locker. I also plan to use the axles with larger (1 and 3/16) caps from my 98's front end. My 2 questions are... are the axles with larger u-joints from my 98 a direct swap? And whats a good strong u joint to run in them for daily driving and occasional hard wheeling. Im not looking for a CTM or a super joint. A friend told me NAPA super duty's are good but from their part number I think it might be a napa-pakaged "Precision" u-joint made by Federal-Mogul. Also I heard debates that Dana spicer 5-760x is a forged replacement for the stock 5-297x. I guess I have a 3rd question too. Greasable or non-greasable. I tend to favor greasable. But only through the cap as in the cross weakens it. I guess im just looking for opinions. Thanks

direct swap, pulll older/smaller insert newer/bigger.

for joints, I just get whatever I can at NAPA. I don't have chromo shafts, so don't see a need for super strong joints (when one goes the others toast so why $$ on one but not the other IMO)

I don't DD my XJ anymore, but I normally went with non greasable when I did DD it.

someone with better info should chime in, but I feel that unless your spending big $$ on shafts, the joints don't need to be top $$ either. find some your happy with and then have a spare... shaft and joint that is.

What size tires do you plan on running? You might want to ask around to see how a detroit in the front handles on the road, unless you are putting in un-locking hubs.
Also, depending on how much you plan on building it or spending I have a fully built, locked, high steer Dana 30 that i am debating on selling that would save you lots of time and money. If your interested let me know.

What size tires do you plan on running? You might want to ask around to see how a detroit in the front handles on the road, unless you are putting in un-locking hubs.
Also, depending on how much you plan on building it or spending I have a fully built, locked, high steer Dana 30 that i am debating on selling that would save you lots of time and money. If your interested let me know.
I use a detroit in the front and do not know it's there on the road.

I plan on running 33's. I currently have 6.5 inches of lift. I need tires soon and have my stock height 235 75 15's. It looks really silly up there with small tires. Im building axles in my spare time so i can just swap them in and not worry about having my daily driver laid up and hustling to re-gear etc. Im think im going to go with the dana 5-760x and carry spare axles when I beat on it. Im not worried about the locker in front because it won't "act up" when not in 4wd. My other car is a 69 dodge dart swinger with a 340 /4spd. and 3.91's w/ detroit locker rear and it was my daily driver for a while.

Thanks NAXJA... im so happy to find you. Not many 4 wheel fans in SF.

I figure if I have 3 lockers in 2 vehicles i can sleep a happy man.

Also thanks for the offer sik4wheeler but im building axles as an exercise and a labor of love. Ive built a few diffs and installed a few lockers and feel rusty. Plus ive got money / parts in axles currently. I cant wait to run lockers on the road too so I can mount some stupid stuff with my jeep in down town san francisco. Heres a pic
img0777j.jpg

Back