• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgraded Headlight Harness Problems

RSchurig356

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished making GoJeep's upgraded headlight harness and I have some problems. First off, I would like to say that I wired it exactly the way that GoJeep did if you are wondering about a schematic.

When everything is off, the driver's side headlight is on. When on low beams, the driver's side is on high beam, and the passenger's side is on low beam. When I switch them to high beams, the driver's side goes down to low beam, and the passenger's side turns off completely.

If you guys can help me with what's wrong, that would be very helpful. Thanks.

X2 get the voltmeter out and start tracing wires.

i had a similar problem when i installed my harness. i'm pretty sure you have the ground and the low beam wires mixed up. easy solution is to change it at the bulb... also it sounds like your high beam is on the wrong terminal also. give it a go

I had that problem. I think you have the wrong relays. You have the single throw relay instead of the double throw. If that makes any sense but I'm almost certain it's just the wrong relays.

SPST Relay Diagram
SPDT Relay Diagram

They will look something like that. If yours looks like the first one then it is just a wrong relay.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am not positive that I have SPDT relays, so I am going to try this fix first. I believe that I have it wired correctly, but we will see how the relays work.

ya, wrong relays could do it also. i also had that problem. correct me if i'm wrong, i went of fitch va's info, but dont you want bosch style double pole single throw relays. its pretty easy to check. the should be 5 studs on the relay, and a wiring diagram on the back of the unit.

I remember how pissed off I was after I just spent all that time running wires, making it look real clean installed into the header panel, and run everything just to find out 1 light never went off and the other light did the exact opposite of the other. Redid the entire wiring from scratch just to realize that the auto store gave me the wrong relays for the wiring I was doing.

Another thing would be if you want the factory fog light to be off when on high beams. All if had to do was patch into the ground wire on the drivers side so the computer would 'see' I had the fog lights on and when on highs would cut them off. It's just a small detail but I felt it worth while to do.

Ok guys. I fooled around with the wiring and relays and now I have lights on low beam, but nothing on high beam. I can't tell if the lights are high beams or low beams when they work, but nothing happens on the high beam setting.

Any suggestions?

What realys are you using? I think you may have the wrong ones.

The realys that I used (per GOJEEP) have 2 "outputs". Both high beams share one realy and both low's share one realy.

I believe the relays that I have are single throw. They only have 4 prongs on them. I also tried a set of double throw's with 5 prongs, and that's where the problems started.

So I switched to the single throw and have 2 wires going into 1 for both high and low.

Some 5 pin relays are for a NC setup (the Bosch relays out of my Mazda could be configured as NC or NO, depending on which output you used). They should be labelled, or if not, put a meter on it.

These are the relays that I have. Can you guys tell me if these are the right ones? I believe that my wiring is correct, so the only thing that I can think that would be wrong would be my relays. Thanks.

0714091710.jpg

0714091711.jpg

Those are not the correct relays for GoJeeps write up.

You need both 87 pins "ON" at the same time.

You could make those work though, and share one pin for both lamps (left and right).

A minor nit. That relay has an 87 and an 87a contact set, it doesn't have a pair of 87 contacts. For that relay, the 87 contact will be off when the 87a contact is on, and vice versa.

From Go-jeep's site:
Loom%2024.jpg

See the difference?

BTW, both relays do have a pretty clear circuit diagram on the front.

Both relays use 85 and 86 for the sense circuit. Polarity doesn't matter.

On Go-jeep's relay, when current is present on the sense circuit, the switch closes, and connects 30 and 87. This is also known as a normally open, aka NO, relay.

On your relay, there is always a connection from 30 to 87, or 87a. I'd have to put an ohmmeter on the contacts to figure out which circuit is normally open, and which is normally closed.

Back