• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 questionssss

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
I have a dana 30 front axle with the vaacum disconnect which I have replaced with a posi-lock. I was thinking about welding my spider gears on the front for a cheap locker. my question is, if I do this will i experience increased tire wear since the axle will not be truely solid unless I engage the posi-lock, i.e. the tires will be able to spin at two different speeds. Second, will I experience a decrease in turning, if so why? I pretty much drive my car to go mudding and back home and welding the gears would only be temporary until I save up enough for a selectable. Also, I am new at this so sorry, I need to know exactly how to tell what size gears I have, do I have to physically take them out and count or is there a way to tell without taking it apart, this also goes for how many splines my axles are, how do i tell. HELP! Thanks

I have a dana 30 front axle with the vaacum disconnect which I have replaced with a posi-lock. I was thinking about welding my spider gears on the front for a cheap locker. my question is, if I do this will i experience increased tire wear since the axle will not be truely solid unless I engage the posi-lock, i.e. the tires will be able to spin at two different speeds. Second, will I experience a decrease in turning, if so why? I pretty much drive my car to go mudding and back home and welding the gears would only be temporary until I save up enough for a selectable. Also, I am new at this so sorry, I need to know exactly how to tell what size gears I have, do I have to physically take them out and count or is there a way to tell without taking it apart, this also goes for how many splines my axles are, how do i tell. HELP! Thanks

with a welded front and a posi lock, you won't experience any downsides on the street, you will just have a front driveshaft that spins all the time like us non CAD folks. when you engage 4WD, you will always be driving the drivers side wheel, and the pass will stay un-powered until you engage the posi-lock.

Why even buy a locker then for my front axle? Just for the limited Slip part of it or what? What benefit do i get from adding a locker with this type of axle when I can just weld the spider gears?

Last edited:
Frankly I think you'd be better off swapping it with a non disconnect axle and getting a cheap locker. Main reason is the 2 piece axle is weaker than the one piece. You could weld up the spiders and as long as the axle is not engaged it should be O.K. on the street.

look for an axle id tag attached to one of the diff cover bolts to tell the ratio.If thats gone pull the cover and look for numbers stamped on the edge of the ring gear and divide the smaller into the bigger.Dont see any numbers?Count the ring gear,and pinion gear teeth and divide the smaller into the bigger.
d-30 axle =27sp
cryco 8.25 either 27 or 29sp depending on year
d-35 = doesn't matter its going to break anyway.....:eeks1:

Back