• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 xj no start bad computer?

ak95xj

NAXJA Forum User
95 XJ No start,cranking but not getting ignition spark..Brand new coil, ckp and pickup coil

Anyone have problems with their ecu,or connection?

When I first got the jeep a month ago if you tapped the ecu with your hand it would stall /not start..Cleaned the wiring harness connection and that problem 'went away'..

It wouldn't start the other day, my dad had the ecu unbolted and like flipped it over to look at it and heard relays clicking and it fired right up...

Go out this morning and it wont start...

Its weird going over a bump or shaking the ecu,etc wont cause a problem..Its like random, I drive it it works fine, park it overnight, get in and it wont start...

I can see how while driving ,going over a bump can shake it and cause the car to stall if it were a bad connection (like it kinda did at first), but I dont see how it drives fine, I park it and the next day it wont start...This problems definately coming from the ecu area

Last edited:
x2 on the ground, if you can get a diagram of the ecm wiring and make sure you have all the battery, ignition, and ground feeds to it. If so sounds like the ECM has gone bad...

I just had a 97 iirc in the shop that wouldnt start and it had a broken ground wire to the ECM.

Then a week later i had a Wrangler that was actually a bad ECM.

Another thing to check is the status of the CEL, if it doesn't come on when you turn the key to run then most likely you have a bad ECM.

Hope this helps.

I was going to say the ground as well... that is something the shop was checking on my XJ last week when it wouldn't start... said it was fairly common for whatever reason.... they also recommended I start JY shopping for spare ECM and CPS... And after the bill I got I def. will be doing that!!

Im definately gonna clean the grounds good this week...

Theres like 2 wires thats in the harness that hooks to the computer that if you wiggle them I can get it started..Wiggle them some more and it stalls...So I checked for any bad connections,etc and there doesnt seem to be any at all,not even dirty...I even took the computer apart peeled some of that gel stuff off and checked the circuit board where the pins are they looked good..I have a pencil jammed by the wiring harness haha and its starting for now...Im gonna check the grounds too , thanks

That is a trange problem, haven't heard of that one before.

At first I was thinking it might be the CPS. Have you checked that out as well?

Back