• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Little Football look'in thing

mryuk

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just got my 2nd Cherokee and its a little nicer than my last(cop Jeep).. But I was doing some fender trimming tonight and on the passenger's side there is a lttle football look'in thing there , some kind of vaccum. I followed it and in goes to the exhaust manifold.. What is it?? Do I need it?? Any help would be great.........

YES, you need it. Check your lines again it runs to the intake manifold NOT the exhaust manifold.

It is a vacuum reservoir.

You can remove it and then wonder why the cruise control does not work and wonder why your vehicle does not shift into 4wd.

Last edited:
I took the one off my trail rig about 3 years ago. The blower defaults to defrost and no cruise...but it shifts into 4wd fine. Depends on the purpose of the jeep whether or not you need it. I have also heard of several people just plugging it and they say it has the same effect as having the factory vaccum bottle.

Me and the boys will stop kicking it around the yard them.

=====================================
Newbies if you can't poke fun of them, What good are they?

On the 2000 models they are a round canister. I relocated mine just behind the battery. I used self tapping sheetmetal screws to mount it. Took me all of 5 minutes to relocate it.

1347348080_ORIG.jpg

Well thanks for all the help everyone .... My Jeep is my Weekend toy so maybe I will try to plug it and see what happens It just seems like onw of those things that would get in the way , oh and I tried to put it under the hood but I dont have the room..... I need to post up some pics also.... Thanks again

i think they come in diffrent sizes depending on the options your xj has , my 88 had a round one , base model no cruise or air and my 87 waggoneer had the long one and it was loaded.

Mine has the long one, and its a pioneer, somewhat spiffy, cruise doesnt work probally the bottle, and the inter wipers dont work probally the switch.

Back