• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cured my engine knock/rattle! (I think)

supark

NAXJA Forum User
The 96 4.0 XJ I just bought last week came with a troubling rattle/knock at idle that would disappear completely when I got on the gas. It would only show up once the car had warmed up for a few minutes. After some research on this forum, it sounded a lot like loose flex plate bolts.

Put the car in neutral and removed the trans inspection cover plate. Even in neutral the flex plate was a b!tch to rotate, but I was not surprised to find that the 3 of the 4 bolts were just a little bit tighter than finger tight.

Figuring out how to put the inspection plate on just right took me a few minutes - I ended up actually snipping a little bit of metal off one side to make it easier to slip in out. Just took it for a test drive for 6-7 miles and the knock/rattle is completely gone! This forum rocks!!

Sidenote - I think the rattle was why the seller was trying to get rid of it, so I got it for a good price for a (hopefully) pretty easily solved and harmless issue.

The 96 4.0 XJ I just bought last week came with a troubling rattle/knock at idle that would disappear completely when I got on the gas. It would only show up once the car had warmed up for a few minutes. After some research on this forum, it sounded a lot like loose flex plate bolts.

Put the car in neutral and removed the trans inspection cover plate. Even in neutral the flex plate was a b!tch to rotate, but I was not surprised to find that the 3 of the 4 bolts were just a little bit tighter than finger tight.

Figuring out how to put the inspection plate on just right took me a few minutes - I ended up actually snipping a little bit of metal off one side to make it easier to slip in out. Just took it for a test drive for 6-7 miles and the knock/rattle is completely gone! This forum rocks!!

Sidenote - I think the rattle was why the seller was trying to get rid of it, so I got it for a good price for a (hopefully) pretty easily solved and harmless issue.

pretty sure I have the same issue. How tight do the bolts have to be? And where is the general area of the inspection plate? I'd go out and check but its pouring rain :(

if you look at the bell housing of the transmission, there's a plate covering the lower 5-6" of the opening of the bell housing. It's held on with 4 bolts/nuts. The larger nuts holding the inspection plate on were on there pretty damn tight, so I had to use a breaker bar to get more leverage. You'll see once you get in there, but the two large bolts/nuts are the main thing that holds the inspection plate on. I put the car in neutral and used a pry bar to move the flexplate.

Just drove it to the airport this morning - about a 15-20 mile drive and when I parked the car in the short term lot, no sign at all of the clatter still! So stoked it was such a simple fix - car now sounds perfectly normal at idle. I couldn't find the torque spec in my service manual so I just tighted it to PFT spec (pretty f@cking tight)

Last edited:
if you look at the bell housing of the transmission, there's a plate covering the lower 5-6" of the opening of the bell housing. It's held on with 4 bolts/nuts. The larger nuts were on there pretty damn tight, so I had to use a breaker bar to get more leverage. You'll see once you get in there, but the two large bolts/nuts are the main thing that holds the inspection plate on. I put the car in neutral and used a pry bar to move the flexplate.

Just drove it to the airport this morning - about a 15-20 mile drive and when I parked the car in the short term lot, no sign at all of the clatter still! So stoked it was such a simple fix - car now sounds perfectly normal at idle.

haha yeah that rattle is getting kind of annoying. How tight do the flex plate bolts have to be? Do they have to be torqued to anything or just tightened down by hand pretty good?

I tightened them down a little bit more than I would say an oil drain plug - so like 20-25 ft lbs? But don't quote me on that - I just tightened it down as tightly as I could torque it with my forearm. This was more of a test to track down whether it was indeed the flexplate bolts making the rattle noise. I'll prob go back in there with some loctite and retorque them to the appropriate spec - as soon as I find it!

FSM says 23 ft lbs.IIRC there is not room for my torque wrench to fit.A little loc-tite on the bolts also helps.

Wayne

yeah there was just enough room to fit my socket wrench in there if the bolt was on the driver side of the of the flexplate, but both torque wrenches I have were too big to fit

Back