• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New '98 XJ bought -- couple of questions

Back2Basics

NAXJA Forum User
Not my first XJ, it's my 4th, but it's been a long time since I had the 3rd, and I'm looking for input on a couple of things. First, being a Sport, it has power locks, but not the remote controller. There should be a quick/easy conversion. I need advice on that.

The headlights are dim, but there are excellent threads on that.

My flares are black (blacker now that I've painted them) but I want to repaint them body color. Is the dealer still the best source for matching rattlecan paint?

I'm in Orange County. Are there any members in the OC/LA area who have a shop to recommend for alignment/suspension tightening?

Thanks in advance!

B2B

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32385708@N00/3697223726/

Last edited:
Yah just ditch the stock headlights and get some autopals and a new harness. Like you said plenty of threads on here about it. The stock ones just aren't even worth messing with.

NAPA auto parts will color match, they need your VIN and should be around 12-13 buks a can, probably cheaper than stealership. While you are at it, pull out that grill and cover it with eitched primare and color match that as well. (pic in my photos), my XJ same color.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the quick feedback.

Wheels are 17" Chrysler take-offs. Hub bore is perfect. My XJ is street only, so these work well, and were amazingly cheap. I only paid $1600 for the Jeep, and +$114, net for the wheels & tires.

49er, I hadn't seen a thread on Autopal lights. Will look.

I can do the string thing on toe-in, but it feels like I may need some bushing replacement, as well, and I'm ignorant about that stuff (other than sway bar bushings, which are dead simple).

Thanks for the NAPA tip. I agree, Mac, the grille should be painted!

Really appreciate the input!

Yah just ditch the stock headlights and get some autopals and a new harness. Like you said plenty of threads on here about it. The stock ones just aren't even worth messing with.

Can't go wrong there! My Autopals are great even without the upgraded harness which is coming!

Back