• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97 XJ Bad Sensor?

rescuejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching for this, but coudl not come up with anything similar. Something happened with my '97 XJ 4.0 Auto, it was running perfect and then I decided to use some engine bright to degrease the engine compartment.

When I restarted it, the check engine light was on. It started up fine and seemed to idle fine.

Once I hit a high idle and let off it would stall out?

Then I took it for a ride and it would not go out of first gear, it seemed very hesitant?

I am thinking bad sensor possibly?

Ok, we are both in the same boat..

I pressue washed my 87 Cherokee Pioneer and now Im having the same problem... I hadnt thought about the relevance with the water till moparmaniac posted a reply mentioning the TPS.

I'll be trying this right away.
Let me know what you come up with results please.

sounds very much like a wet tps, they don't like the wet. i have had that same issue with the xj, and my previous 'yota after washing out the engine compartment.

I have a new TPS on it's way and will post a disposition.

Last night I took the TB off and the TPS hoping it would dry out over night? The top part of the TPS screwed off while cleaning it and the inside parts fell out, so I don't think that was a good thing? This morning I put it all back together, tried starting it, but it would not turn over unless I was applying gas. Then it would stall after letting my foot off the pedal.

Back