• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Elec Seat Problem

JamesM412

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee limited (4.0 HO) with both front seats powered. The passenger seat bottom is moved all the way back. If I try to move it forward nothing happens and I do not hear the motor engage. But if I try and move it back (but it won't causes it is already there) I hear the motor kick on. I did a search but found nothing on this. So any ideas on how to troubleshoot this or fix it?
Thanks, James

Sounds like a switch issue. Are you getting power to the motor when the switch is in the forward position?

It does not sound like it. Like I said I can hear the motor kick on when I try to move it backwards. Guess I need to hot wire around the swich to see if the "forward" works. Or even put a test lite on it to see if I get power.

So you could jump the wires at the switch to feed current to the motor with the forward moving polarity. That would show that you needed a new switch. Then you could pull the switch and check it with an ohmmeter (multimeter).

So check with the multimeter to see if I have continuity (sp) when the switch is engaged?

No. Check for voltage at the motor when the switch is in the forward postion.

If no voltage at the motor when the switch is in the forward position, then pull the switch, and with no power attached to the switch test it with the ohm meter to determine if it has continuity in the forward position.

Cool thanks. Glad there are some Guru's here. This is my first Jeep and I have owned it for a couple weeks or so. I am discovering all the hidden problems. But I like working on cars so it will be fun! Thanks again.

Ok so I finally got around to checking the switch and it is the swith that is bad. If I put power to the motor it works fine. Looks like I will search ebay for the swith. Thanks for the help everyone!

Try hitting some junkyards, too- I don't know, but I'm guessing that that switch is in other DCPJ vehicles as well- I haven't gotten too involved yet (I've got power GC seats in my XJ, but they're still working fine), but using the same switches in a variety of models would greatly simplify inventory for them.

Back