• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Buildup

Char-Broil

NAXJA Forum User
Well, some of you may know, I just purchased a 2000 Cherokee Sport. I'll save the story, it's in my original thread, but it has a toasted motor in it, but came with another. The Jeep has 117k mi on it, new motor has around 80k. This XJ will replace my 94, which I have had since I was 17. I built that up to around 5.5", ran it on 33's for a while, and had a lot of fun with it.

As of now, I am planning to build this into a legitimate Cherokee Rubicon.

Here is my build sheet:

Motor:
Stock 4.0 Motor
MORE Engine Mounts
MORE Engine mount brackets
K&N Filter
TB Spacer

Transmission/Transfer Case:
NSG370 or NV3550
NP242 4:1 Transfer Case - $700
SYE & XJ Front DS

Axles
Front: Rubicon D44

Rear Stock Rubicon D44 – Or XJ D44 with 4.10's and Locker
Shafts: Alloy

VIAIR Air compressor for lockers/OBA

Exterior
Bumpers: Stock rear, Stock front with tow hooks/backbone system
Winch

Protection
Gas tank skid
Rocker sliders – AJ’s
TNT belly skid -

Interior
Grand Cherokee seats

Wheels/Tires
16x8 Jeep Moab wheels
235/85/16 (31.6x10.4) BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM or Maxxis Bighorn

Suspension
3” Front Springs, Medium
3” Rear Leaf Springs
OME/Bilstein Shocks
TNT HD Trac Bar –
JKS Discos
JCR 1 Ton Steering

PICS:

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_601.jpg

IMG_602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

Transmission/Transfer Case:
NSG370 or NV3550
NP242 4:1 Transfer Case - $700
SYE & XJ Front DS

Protection
Gas tank skid
Rocker sliders – AJ’s
TNT belly skid -

I think you want the NP241or
and TNT is now TREKs
:shhh:

I love the write up, and I can't wait to help you on the Swaps.

Yeah 241-OR...I know TNT is Treks but i think that's a lame name so I still call them TNT.

Yesterday all i really did was clean up the shop and get the new motor on the engine stand. Today I got the old motor ready to pull and the MORE mounts and brackets off the 94 and onto the new block. Hopefully this weekend I get the old motor out and the trannies swapped around. I should be posting a few pics later tonight.

Progress...

First time up on the lift, first *good* look at the underside - Almost no rust!
img_0609.jpg

img_0610.jpg

I'm pretty sure this should be green. And more like 2 gallons should have come out.
img_0611.jpg

Tagged and almost ready to remove
img_0612.jpg

img_0613.jpg

img_0614.jpg

M.O.R.E. Brackets on the new block
img_0615.jpg

img_0616.jpg

wrong forum....?

Mod tech or picture showcase perhaps

LOL! All those tags...... looks like a yard sale! :D

Yeah, wrong forum, but I look forward to seeing what you build from it! :thumbup:

Well i don't have access to picture showcase anymore seeing as I am no longer a paid member. I thought about putting in in mod tech but i have seen plenty of "new jeep/build" threads in here...If someone wants to move it to mod tech, go for it.

Well i don't have access to picture showcase anymore seeing as I am no longer a paid member. I thought about putting in in mod tech but i have seen plenty of "new jeep/build" threads in here...If someone wants to move it to mod tech, go for it.

or you could just pay up again :gag:

Looks like a cool little build, I'm looking forward following along

I still think we should put a mild stroker in that new motor while its out.

and have you decided what your going to protect the under side with?

and I vote for the red name again too. Hasta

UPDATE:

The motor, transmission, transfer case, and exhaust system are out. I am planning on spending some time and $ to properly undercoat this thing. After much research, I am planning to use Eastwood rust converter/encapsulator to coat the areas that have some light rust, and then spray the underside with Lizardskin http://www.lizardskin.com/pages/sound_control.php

Here's some pics of the progress. The green jeep is my 94, which will be donating its transmission & clutch parts, taurus fan, radiator, cat-back exhaust, and other parts i'm forgetting right now.

The new motor is also ready to go, I have replaced the rear main seal, front main/timing chain cover, oil pan gasket, and valve cover gasket. I swapped the valve cover and oil pan over from the dead motor because they were in much nicer shape.

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

New motor is in, and almost completely hooked up. Need a new pilot bearing before I can put the trans in, and nobody has them in stock, otherwise I would have at least had it running yesterday. Hoping to get to that Tuesday night! I also forgot to bring my camera along, so I did not get any pictures of the new engine going in. I would like to document the process of transplanting the ax-15 though.

that green one doesn't look like a 94.

lookin to sell the old front clip and mirrors? or are you playing musical transmissions?

the newer style front clip and mirrors I mean. I need 97+ fenders, and mirrors and may as well have another front clip

Yeah I am playing musical transmissions actually, I was planning to get rid of the 94, but now I may be keeping it. I will keep the front clip (it was basically free, and has a good bit of body work in it. A friend already has dibs on the mirrors, but if he decides he doesn't want them i'll let you know.

Well it's a 2000, so of course it has the weak head, but I was told by the mechanic I bought it from that it was run hot, until it would not run anymore. I don't know what the cause of the overheating was, so I swapped in a different radiator and my taurus fan setup.

Back