• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auburn Ected makes grinding noise when turning.

smorgan67

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a custom Dana 44 from 4wd.com with their supplied Superior shafts and installed Yukon gears with the ected locker. The locker makes a loud grinding noised when turning. Also with the locker locked it don't seem to bind at all when turning on blacktop? There is power to the locker and I watched it engage with the cover off. I drove about 15 miles like this and drained the oil, there is practically no metal shavings at all. I will call Auburn tomorrow and 4wd.com, but I thought maybe someone would have some experience?
Thanks,

I did put 3 ounces of friction additive (supplied by 4wd.com) each time I filled it. I talked with a tech at 4wd.com today and he said to add a little more friction additive and keep driving it. He said it will quiet down. I am just a little scared to drive it when it sounds like that. I should get that tech to put that in writing in case it detonates!

that does not sound right to me.

You should call Auburn support and talk to them.

Yeah, it don't sound right.

Try driving some tight figure-8's in a parking lot close to home and work the oil and modifier into the clutches. If it quiets down, they were right. If it explodes, you got that over quickly, and you are close to home. . .

I "had" an ECTED in my front Dana 30 twice. Both self destructed, each after about 6 months and 3-4 serious wheeling trips. Both of mine started making a "wratcheting" noise when turning after a few months. That noise changed to a "popping" noise soon after that. The second one that self destructed consumed my ring and pinion.

Each time the Auburn Gear Engineers deemed them defective. Of course they didn't cover the re-installation costs. Auburn Gear replaced them both for free. I paid the shipping of the broken one back to them. I'm not putting the third one in. I switched to an OX but haven't wheeled it yet. For what I've spent I could have started with a custom built Dana 44.

Back