• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throttle based ticking

Fonger

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a '97 XJ, 4-door, 4.0L, AW4, 231, Dana 30 & 8.25". I'm getting a throttle based ticking (changes with RPMs). This is occurring at a stop lights, and even in neutral. When reversing after long periods of driving forward (like in a parking lot) the noise gets more noticeable. I've pretty much ruled out the transfer case as being the culprit, since it keeps happening even when I'm stopped, so the transfer case internals should be stopped. I don't think that it's a stuck lifter either, it's just not that kind of noise. I'm thinking it may be some torque converter bolts that may have loosened up and are hitting something, but I'm still not convinced of that. So, ideas fellas, I need some....

Thanks...

That sounds like the evap solenoid if its an actual ticking/clicking noise. If it is, then its normal. When its ticking pop the hood and listen around. If its coming from a small cylinder on the firewall to the left of the valve cover, thats what it is.

Last edited:
Back