• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leak from Oil filter Assembly

Googenheimer

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever had a leak from the oil filter assembly? There is an arm that comes out of the block that bends upward where the oil filter is screwed on. It looks like I have a leak at the base of this arm where it contacts the block. Is there a gasket underneath this assembly? Is that arm even removable and can it be tightened down?

There are 3 orings underneath that "arm" dealer only item I beleive, I think its a torx T-60 is what you need to take it off, its a real tight fit in there, people have had to file down the T-60 socket and use a open end wrench but its doable. maybe you have the room in yours to just wrench it off. put the three orings back on and tighten it back up. good luck, I am sure theres a write up on this somewheres....

Googenheimer said:
Thanks for the help!

I actually have a set of O-rings here that I won't use. You can have them for $3.00 (my cost), they fit the type that uses the Torx bolt, mine is the hex bolt type but I had already opened the package so the dealer won't take them back.

Will you be at the roofing party next week? How about at the "figure-out-what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-my-front-end-party" starting at first light in the morning? Counting you there should be one person there. I'll be back when you have it figured out :D

When you install the O-rings, be prepared to grunt like a pig, get pretty dirty and wonder if your doing it right because you don't think you should have to push that hard to get the bolt loose.

Go to www.madxj.com and look for the technical article on oil filter upgrade. He has very good pictures on removing and reinstalling the oil filter mount. Once you see those pictures you will be ready to do the job!

Also this would be a perfect time to change the motor mount if it is worn out. I had to remove the oil filter mount to get the through bolt out on my 88 XJ 4.0 so if you want to kill 2 birds with one stone, just a suggestion.

Back