• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch pedal linkage repair

silencedmajority

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 XJ with 4.0L and AX15 5 speed manual transmission.

Yesterday while on a rough trail with nasty 500 foot drop to one side my clutch pedal went totally loose and would go all the way up or down with no engagement. Scary.

So when I checked it out, I saw that some little plastic part holding the linkage together (a little post on the pedal to the loop on the master piston) had broken. I taped this all up with duct tape to get home.

Has this happened to anybody here, and if so where did you get the part to repair it? What is it called?

Thanks in advance everybody.

4 4446 361 1 BUSHING, Hydraulic Clutch Actuator

No doubt that is dealership or junkyard. If it were me, and it broke like that, I'd make something better out of heat-treated bolts. Would a bolt, two nuts and washers and loctite make something more robust?

No doubt that is dealership or junkyard. If it were me, and it broke like that, I'd make something better out of heat-treated bolts. Would a bolt, two nuts and washers and loctite make something more robust?

Winterbeater, is it just me or is that font a bit small?

Thank you for the part number.

Yeah, I guess I didn't think of making something with a new nut. I know it should work but I didn't want to if it was a common part I could get at Napa.

Has anyone had this break on them?

Been a long day joe? Maybe you got the wrong glasses on? LOL :rattle:

Sorry, low tech me copied it from the factory parts book and it f***ed up the font. At least it went back to normal now.

Thank goodness, thought I might be having a stroke! LMAO!

I've never broken that part, but I will be making something better and use the old stuff for a spare.

Back