• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

idle problem

jamesxjowner

NAXJA Forum User
so i was going to sell my 86 2 door xj but know i want to turn it into a wheeler. all i got to do is figure out my idle problem. some days it idles above 1500 and some days under 500. i checked all the vacuum lines and they r all good. any ideas

Engine?

How did you check the vacuum lines? Visual? Have you tried the trick of feeding propane from a hand held torch (flame off) at potential leak points. Like areond the intake manifold. Idle should change if you find a leak.

Well, carb so I would remove the filter and go after the linkage with a can of carb cleaner and do the throttle plates too. Make sure the throttle plates haven't come loose and started jamming the throttle open. Make sure the fast idle cam on the linkage isn't sticking.

Without personal knowledge of the carb v6 I will also suggest you check the linkage from the pedal up.

ok i was also thinking the gasket for the carb may be cracked

Loose mounting, bad gasket, broken isolator (if it has one) all would introduce more air.

Also, ruptured diaphragm in the brake booster could effect too.

What idiot put a "G" in diaphragm?

I thought that the 86 2.8 V6 was TBI?

Oops, that was the 2.5, sorry.

Back