• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced leaky evap now compressor?

cr2000xj

NAXJA Forum User
Well I replaced my leaking evaporator this weekend and got my A/C charged back up. All was well untill I got home and cranked the jeep again and there was a strange noise from under the hood. Sounded like the compressor was binding up or something. I opened the hood and by the time I got up there it had stopped. The air is blowing cold, but I think my compressor may be on its way out also. It does this everytime I turn the AC on but only for 10-30 seconds. Sounds almost like the compressor is dry and has to spin for a little bit before it can run smoothly. Anyone had this problem?

Also this is minor but my left blinker now blinks extremely fast after reinstalling my dash....

Did you add PAG oil during the evap swap and recharge?

nope didn't add oil and the belt isn't slipping. it bogs the motor and it makes almost a whirring noise. I know it does this slightly when the compressor clicks on but it is obviosly something. The hoses going to the compressor shake pretty violently until it smooths out. sounds like it is just really hard for the compressor to turn for about 10 seconds and then it does ok

I am not sure if this is mod tech but my Cherokee isn't stock so I don't hang out over there as much :)

So the next thing is to check the charge. Was your system evacuated and the proper charge put back in?

Another question of curiosity, because I used to do warranty on some of this stuff. Was your evap visibly corroded or have a lot of lint-like debris?

System was evecuated and properly recharged and i have been watching the pressure and there is no more leak. There was a lot of debris on it when it came out and the foam under it was toast. There really wasn't any corrosion to speak of though

Back