• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best value SYE

beer hero

NAXJA Forum User
Planning on purchasing and installing a slip yoke eliminator on my '89 with and Rubicon Express 4 1/2" lift, apparently it is possible to use a front XJ auto driveshaft and have it modified if needed, which company's kit seems to be the best value?

i got mine from Performance Offroad Center (PORC) for $179 shipped. i believe it is an Advanced Adapters SYE. then i bought a front driveshaft and am using it for the rear.

porc drop ships sye's for the cheapest.... but for $10-$20 more, you can buy the same thing from someone who actually gives a shit, is honest about shipping times, AND OMFG, emails you a tracking number....

It will fit just fine as long as it comes out of a XJ that has an Automatic Tranny. My Friend uses that setup.

At 5"s of Lift, I don't need a SYE... no Vibration. All I have is a TC 1" Drop. It all depends if you have Vibration or not.

I didn’t have much vibration at 4.5- 5inchs of lift either but I still got a sye because I don’t like the idea if I do brake a rear drive shaft then it drains my transfer case, and I used a front shaft also, so if I do brake a rear I can swap in the front and still make it home., I think it’s a needed up grade even if you aren’t having vibration problems.

And I got mine from PORC, it was an advanced adapters, at the time it was the cheapest i could find, I didn't have any problems with them but I have heard other people having some customer service issues with them

Last edited:
I'm not worried if I should happen to Bust my Rear Driveshaft. I would remove it and Drive in 4Hi (2wd when one Driveshaft is removed) until I get to a J Yard to get a Replacement.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the newer 231's for 97+ XJ's actually hold the fluid in if the rear shaft is removed right?

You know I guess I don’t know for sure, I did a sye on my 98 and can't recall exactly how it was sealed, but I do know that a friend of mine broke his rear drive shaft on his 95 twice and he would always have to find something to try and plug the hole cause fluid would start coming out, I thought the cases were the same through 97+

You know I guess I don’t know for sure, I did a sye on my 98 and can't recall exactly how it was sealed, but I do know that a friend of mine broke his rear drive shaft on his 95 twice and he would always have to find something to try and plug the hole cause fluid would start coming out, I thought the cases were the same through 97+

Well i know after 91 they went to 23 spline output shafts and in the newer models they had the electronic speedo other than than i'm not sure.

When I smashed the ____ out of my '96 NP 231 and had to replace it, I had a '96+ TC with some kind of "Shield" too. Now I have a '94 NP 231 installed without said "Shield."

porc drop ships sye's for the cheapest.... but for $10-$20 more, you can buy the same thing from someone who actually gives a shit, is honest about shipping times, AND OMFG, emails you a tracking number....

Yeah, but in the end you have the same thing but $10-$20 less in your pocket.

But anyway. As far as driveshafts go you can also buy a brand new custom driveshaft from adamsdriveshaft.com for $200 shipped to your house. They custom build it and ship anywhere in the country the same day. I ordered mine on a Monday and had it Wednesday from Nevada to Pennsylvania. Balanced, nicely painted, 6" slip joint and all brand new spicer u-joints and cv joint.

l_0d28e8b99e884a99b4d6f0fbe75e57f9.jpg

in the end we're all worm food, time is money and i care about now. he's free to make up his own mind, im simply trying to let him know some common problems w/ ordering thru porc.

True but if you don't need it quickly why not save a few bucks? I hate to tell you but as much as you think any of these companies "care" about you they are just all out to make money. Some are nicer about it than others but not many of them really give a rats ass after you give them your credit card.

i got the sye n driveshaft from iron rock offroad delivered to my house for 230 i think. fits fine with 6-6.5 inches of lift

Thanks for all the info guys, I have a couple spare auto front shafts kicking around thanks to Starvin Marvins Auto Wreckers, scored a free Dana 44 rear too after blowing up 2 D35s, still pricing around here in southern Ontario, Canada but offroad shops are few and far between and mostly overpriced, so I will most likely take everyones advice and shop down south.

Back