• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock-ish Tire Advice

JeepMaz

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock '98 Cherokee Classic with 225 75 R15's on it, no lift or modifications, on the stock alloy wheels. I want to upgrade to 235 75 R15 BF Goodrich AT's (I don't think BFG makes the 225's). Will I have any problems in doing this (tires fitting in wheel wells, steering issues)? Also, anybody with these tires, do you recommend them? I know they're supposed to be excellent in the mud/snow, what about on-road?

Thanks

I used to run 235/75/15 BFG MT's on a stock XJ with no lift and stock wheels. I had zero issues with tire fitment, rubbing, or steering. The 75 is the aspect ration of the tire, meaning the tires sidewall is 75% the width of the tire. You will be fine, and good luck! BFG AT's are great on road, decient in mud and snow. I have seen them in action, and say there more of a street tire to me. HTH.

A great tire that I've been using is the Uniroyal Liberator A/T. They come in 225 and 235 sizes and have a tread pattern similar to the BFG's. They are great on & off road and the best part is the 225's cost me $58.42 a tire at Wal-Mart! I'm equipping my entire Jeep fleet with them.

I have the 235 setup now on 4.5" backspacing wheels. On stock wheels, no issues. On a slightly offset wheel (at least on my 01), there is some rubbing on the flare when weighted down or towing a trailer. This will be resolved soon with some grinding on the inside of the flare.

JeepMaz said:
I want to upgrade to 235 75 R15 BF Goodrich AT's
I am on my second set and don't plan on changing anytime soon. (I am stock as well) get them. I can't really comment on the mud portion, haven't really heard all that great things about the AT's in the mud but snow....I do have ya covered there.

Most of my driving is on-road however I do get it out there enough to recommend them off-road as well.

JeepMaz said:
I have a stock '98 Cherokee Classic with 225 75 R15's on it, no lift or modifications, on the stock alloy wheels. I want to upgrade to 235 75 R15 BF Goodrich AT's (I don't think BFG makes the 225's). Will I have any problems in doing this (tires fitting in wheel wells, steering issues)? Also, anybody with these tires, do you recommend them? I know they're supposed to be excellent in the mud/snow, what about on-road?

Thanks
Yes...you can use 235s with no problems. 30s even on stock..no lift. I was going to get the BFG A/Ts but got Goodyear Wranger Silent Armor's in 235 (which is a 29 inch tire). However...probably should have went to the 30 MT/R. I have used them on trail and some rock and they are great! (the GY Wrangler S/A).

I have a 2000 XJ with LT235/75R15...not a single problem with that size tire. If you have a limited slip rear diff...it would probably be a good idea to have a spare in the same size. Either that or always put the spare in the front (and put front on back if flat is in the rear axel).

30/9.0R15 is the biggest I have ever put on a stock jeep without cutting the front fenders. bfg's are good on and off road but have a short lifespan. Goodyear MT R's are very good if you are looking for on road and off road. the design was made to be smooth on the highway and aggressive off road. another option that most people don't know of is the big o big foot xt. unlike bfg and Goodyear the xt is a 60,000 mile guar. tire and comes with a 100% free replacement for the whole 60,000 miles. If you tear the sidewall of the tire they will replace it at no cost to you for the warranty. Another tire to look into is the new cooper stt. Much like the Mtr but better warr. hope this helps a little bit.

Back