• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor wierd niose

lizarralde

NAXJA Forum User
My 98 XJ turned off. I turned it on again and started to clanck, clanck... it started to come out smoke of the valve cover. Temp OK, Oil OK, Water OK. the only thing I saw was the oil preasure going down on miminum speed, as soon as you step the gas, it went up again.

You turn on the Jeep without pumping gas and it doesn't make any noise.... What could be?

Sorry for my english

Well, as with most FI vehicles, you don't step on the gas pedal when starting.

This is one of those trick questions: If you don't step on the gas pedal, and start the XJ, and it doesn't make noise or smoke, then you should always start it that way?

Seriously, keep your foot off the gas pedal when starting.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that... the point is: if you turn on the jeep now, it won't make any noise "in minimum"; but when you accelerate, the noise will start.

I'm certainly no expert here but it sounds a little loud to be valvetrain noise to me. I've heard some people on here say the bolts can come loose on the trans flex plate causing a knocking sound which can be mistaken for internal engine problems. Is your XJ and auto? I read one post where the bolts were just barely tighter than hand tight which resulted in the noise. I might be more suspect of that since it doesn't make the noise constantly throughout the rpm range...but again, I'm not expert....just my $.02

I'm certainly no expert here but it sounds a little loud to be valvetrain noise to me. I've heard some people on here say the bolts can come loose on the trans flex plate causing a knocking sound which can be mistaken for internal engine problems. Is your XJ and auto? I read one post where the bolts were just barely tighter than hand tight which resulted in the noise. I might be more suspect of that since it doesn't make the noise constantly throughout the rpm range...but again, I'm not expert....just my $.02

Thanks for your advise... you never know, so I will check.

Thanks

Back