• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Escalante Rim - Dry Mesa - East Creek

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
I headed out this morning without any real plans....I just knew that I wanted to do some exploring. I ended up spending some more time on the Uncompahgre Plateau since I wanted to stick close to home. Guess I'm getting to know that area pretty well by now.

I started out on Delta and made my way to Escalante Canyon on the Escalante Rim trail. From there I took the Dry Mesa trail up onto the Uncompahgre. When I reached Divide Road my plans were to explore some spur trails off of the main road, but it seems there has been a lot of rain up on the plateau lately because all of the trails were very muddy and slick. I decided to skip the exploring until it dries out up there again (maybe in the fall). On my way back home I explored a few short spurs along Highway 141 that went off towards East Creek.

Some photos from the day...

Grand Mesa in the background on the Escalante Rim trail
IMG_3570.JPG

Overlook of Dry Creek Escalante Fork
IMG_3572.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

Headed down to Escalante Canyon
IMG_3580.JPG

Made it to the Dry Mesa trail
IMG_3583.JPG

There are some Ute petroglyphs along the trail, unfortunately they are severely vandalized....I was able to find a few of them in the mess, though...
IMG_3587.JPG

IMG_3586.JPG

Headed up onto Dry Mesa
IMG_3596.JPG

Back