• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super Swamper LTBs

cjsxj87

NAXJA Forum User
What is everyones feeling on these? How are they in the rocks? I bought a used set and took them out once, but I want to see how everyone else feels about them. Like I said esspecially in the rocks.

Many Jeepers here in Florida use them. They ride a little Rough on the Highway and are very Noisy. IMHO

Wish I could help you out on this one, however, here we have mostly Mud, Sand, and Clay and not much Rock to Crawl on. Sorry.

Here are some Reviews from http://www.jeepreviews.com/jeep-parts-reviews/146/super-swamper-tires/ Hope this will help you out.

My tire from now on
Date: May 21, 2009
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Vincennes, IN)

I love em, they have great offroad traction, ya their loud as hell, kinda squrriley in the rain but its worth it, when my 33's need replaced im gonna get the 36's.

This review is the subjective opinion of a JeepReviews user and not of JeepReviews.com.

Great rock tire
Date: Apr 06, 2009
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Arvada, CO)

I have a set of 33x12.5x15 TSL radials on a Cherokee. It was my daily for a long time and I put about 40,000 pavement miles on them. Now I only pull the Jeep out on weekends for wheeling. The tires still have almost half tread, and grip like crazy! I always air them down to about 8psi. The side walls are durable, and also very flexible. They have seen alot of snow lately here in Colorado, and are doing great. I would strongly recomend this tire to ANYONE with a Jeep or any other 4wd. They are noisy on road, but they are Swampers! If you want a quiet, mild mannered street tire, buy some all-terrains and put your Jeep back in the driveway.

This review is the subjective opinion of a JeepReviews user and not of JeepReviews.com.

Great Tire
Date: Aug 24, 2008
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Grand Rapids, MI)

This tire has exceeded my expectations in most cases. Mud, sand and deep snow is no problem. I never have a problem with them not self cleaning. On the road it is great on dry pavement (though pretty loud), over 2" of snow and heavy rain. But lacks any kind of traction on ice, light snow or light rain. It took me 2 years to find someone that could balance them correctly. After that I had no problems with shaking. And the tread wear is great. I've gotten allot more years out of them than I expected.

awsome tires
Date: Feb 16, 2008
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Alabama)

I have the 33x12.50 bias ply and they are incredible. With my aussie locker out back in the jeep I can go anywhere the big boys with 40's can go and and out crawl them any day of the week. I would recommend these tires to any one with a dedicated trail rig or who just wants to have some fun.

kick butt tires
Date: Jul 18, 2005
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Jacksonville, NC)

Awesome off-road tires! These tires, even when worn out will still perform off-road with those big side lugs! WHOOOOOEEE!!!

I got about 30K miles out of my last set. I kept them rotated and the alignment up. Don't buy them for your Mall Crawler; you'd be wasting your money. The are just for true off-roading!

Super Swamper TSL Radial Review
Date: May 18, 2005
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Asheville, NC)

I just purchased a set of 33x12.50x15 TSL RADIALS and I love them on my Jeep CJ. They are slightly noisy on the highway but that comes along with a good mud terrain tire. Great tire on the road being a radial and I have yet to take them off road so we will see how they do. I would recommend these tires to anyone who wants a good looking, functional, and agressive tire and also the ones who want to get some higher mileage out of the tires. Def. recommend the radial over bias to avoid soft spots and also to achieve higher mileage. Super Swampers TSL Radials! Best tire period.

Great looks but too loud
Date: Nov 15, 2004
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (St. Louis, MO)

I have 33x12.50x15 TSl's on my YJ and they are great when offroad. My complaint is regarding how extremely loud the tires are on pavement. Next spring they're gone and I'm goin with Pro-Comp Baja Claws.

Interco Super Swamper Radial/TSL
Date: Oct 17, 2004
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Boston, MA)

This tire is great for offroad but it is very loud on the street. Also has very little traction on wet pavement. It you drive on the street most of the time the tire is not for you. The tire does wear good for a Super Swamper.

I have 34x10.5x15 LTB's, I like them a lot. I'm no hard core wheeler though. Tough sidewalls, grip well, low price. Balance with airsoft pellets and your good to go.

I had 34s, and loved them offroad. Rocks, dirt trail and mud are what we have in IN. Street use sucks though, and that is why I sold them for a set of BFG MTs.

I have not run the LTB, but I've run the TSL, TSL radial, TSL SX, and Bogger. The Bogger was my least favorite Swamper, crappy lateral traction and jarring, parts-breaking hookup at times. Great in mud, so-so in most other terrain, horrible on the street. The TSL is a great overall tire, excellent traction in all terrains, very durable tire. Street ride was just okay. The TSL SX is my favorite tire of all time. Outstanding traction everywhere, decent street ride, extremely durable. The TSL radial is a good compromise tire for a DD wheeler. Very good traction in all conditions, pretty good street ride, durability is average. Treadwear as well as throwing lugs is a bit of a concern, sidewall strength is average for an off-road radial.

All accounts of the LTB I've read compare it favorably to a slightly more aggressive TSL, so it should share the same characteristics with a bit more traction off-road and a bit more noise on-road. For a dedicated wheeling rig that sees little street time, I'd say it's an excellent choice.

I have not run the LTB either, but I plan to go with them when I need tires again. I mostly run rock, but here on the east coast, you usually have to get through the muck to get there ;)

I am running SSRs now and they do good for a radial. If my MJ was a DD, I would consider getting them again (except they are pricey!). They are probably the most road friendly swamper, besides the Truxus, but they still have the classic TSL tread (just a bit larger lugs with smaller voids).

i have a set of 34x10.50x15 and love everything about them except they wore very fast on pavement but that was expected. I'm buying them again in the 35 flavor and running A.T.s on the road next time

LTB's are a softer compound than TSL's. They grip great at single digits. Wear pretty fast on the street. But even mostly bald they still hook up and fling mud thanks to the big outer lugs Tough bias ply sidewalls, I had some with spoon sized divots gouged out and they weren't phased. Nice tire for the muddy rocks and roots here in New England. The 34 x 10.50 are an easy fit on XJ's.

LTB's are a softer compound than TSL's. They grip great at single digits. Wear pretty fast on the street. But even mostly bald they still hook up and fling mud thanks to the big outer lugs Tough bias ply sidewalls, I had some with spoon sized divots gouged out and they weren't phased. Nice tire for the muddy rocks and roots here in New England. The 34 x 10.50 are an easy fit on XJ's.
Actually I checked the tread with my durometer (checks rubber hardness) and my LTB's were actually slightly harder than my TSL's. I have 34" LTB's and 32" TSL

I have had the 35" LTB's and in the 5 trips I have had on them this year they have worked excellent. The sidewalls seem to be very tough but still allows the tires to flex well at low pressures (4 psi). The terain in the midwest does not include alot of pure rocky areas, typical trails include rocks mixed with mud clay and sand. The tires performance in every type of terain that I have encountered so far has meet or exceeded my expectations. The only pure rock areas that i have used the tires so far is rocky creekbeds and they worked wonderfully.

Jim

i have a set of 34x10.50x15 and love everything about them except they wore very fast on pavement but that was expected. I'm buying them again in the 35 flavor and running A.T.s on the road next time

did you end up getting those 34's on soft 8's I used to have off of Mike?They wear like shit on the road dont they?Thats why I traded mine to Mike for his buckshots......

I run the 34x10.50x15 on my rig. they are a very tough tire. they hook up very well in the rocks and in most other terrains. been running them for about 2 1/2 years now. they wear well off road. haven't driven them on road so not really sure on there on road characteristics. when ever they do wear out will be getting another set. probably a larger size.

did you end up getting those 34's on soft 8's I used to have off of Mike?They wear like shit on the road dont they?Thats why I traded mine to Mike for his buckshots......

no he still haves those... i had my own before he got his thats how he came to love them too

If its not driven on the street much its a good offroad tire. Personally I would get a tire groover and hack them up.
0106800005.jpg

0106800000e.jpg

I would love to groove mine like the first pic but DAMN that looks like it would take a lot of time to do. Then the tires are worn out in a year anyway LOL. Although, I am trying not to drive it on the road too much anymore. I have my car and my other XJ for that but I like driving my trail rig alot.

I've been running the 34 LTBs for well over a year on bead locks(6.5psi front and 4-5 rear) and love them! I wish they made the 40" LTB in a 12.5 width(skinny is the only way to go in my area) when I put the one tons under my 2dr.

I dont under stand why more people do not run them, they are good priced, can fit on a 3"lifted xj, do very well in mud, dirt, high speed offroad, rocks. andy...miobi.org

I've been running the 34 LTBs for well over a year on bead locks(6.5psi front and 4-5 rear) and love them! I wish they made the 40" LTB in a 12.5 width(skinny is the only way to go in my area) when I put the one tons under my 2dr.

I dont under stand why more people do not run them, they are good priced, can fit on a 3"lifted xj, do very well in mud, dirt, high speed offroad, rocks. andy...miobi.org

because if you run them on the street at all they ride like ass and wear like a 5th graders eraser.I dont think any one has mentioned how they ride first thing in the morning when its cold outside....:scared:But I have to agree with the offroad performance.....they work well.

Back