• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 questions - Brakes and Washer

49erRider

NAXJA Forum User
Ok two quick questions here.

My front calipers have quite a bit of play in them. I've read that a little play is acceptable but I would say these are borderline an inch and half of play or so. Everyone think its time for new calipers?

Also is the only way to remove the washer fluid bottle to take off the fender? Or does it seem like I can remove it from under the fender with no splash guard. Thanks guys.

You can pull the plastic inside the wheel well to access the washer res. Think there's a screw or bolt inside the eng compartment you'll need to pull as well.

Please explain an inch and a half of play in the calipers. It seems impossible for them to even remain attached. Do you mean side to side, rotational, radial? I'm confused. Please explain more.

With the wheel off I can pull the rotor and caliper towards myself about an inch I would say.

With the wheel off I can pull the rotor and caliper towards myself about an inch I would say.

your rotor is a floating rotor, the test would be to get maybe 2 lug nuts w/o a cap on them and snug down the rotor, then you wont have any play.

basically saying w/o the caliper on there you can slide the rotor off the axle, the only thing to hold the rotor on there is the wheel itself.

Ok.

So I know the rotor will slide right off but with the caliper still bolted down I should still have that amount of play? Guess that was my question and I think you guys answered it saying it was normal. Whats the suggested amount that it could move without any lugs on but the caliper still bolted down.

The whole reason for asking these questions is because I have a bad rotor warp after only about 4 months of use. These were just the regular autozone specials so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

The calipers are supposed to be able to slide in/out. The rotors will have a fair amount of slop with the wheel off. If you're warping the rotor that fast, inspect the slides that the pads run on for grooves that might cause the pads to hang up and drag. It might be a bad caliper thats sticking and not releasing.

Well I just put on the new rotors and everything is braking perfectly. I also switched to new brake pads so hopefully it stays this great. If in a few months I wear through the rotors again, I'll swap out the calipers. But the slides looked fine.

ok, also... have you went thru puddles, washed ur car while it was driven a while, basically any sort of water source that could have touched those rotors while they were hot? going from hot to cold rapidly will warp rotors too. thats why they make slotted and drilled, although blank rotors(stock) are better if you do go into the mud beacuse grooves and drilled collect mud and crack.

sorry i was at the beach for the 4th so i couldnt reply

Back