• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel spacer ?

guillermo

NAXJA Forum User
I had 1.25 spacers on my previous XJ with stock rims and 31x10.5 tires... Eliminated rubbing LCA on turns. My current XJ has 32x11.5 tires on stock rims and lots of rubbing on LCA's. Will 1.25 spacers be enough or do I need 1.5 or more ? THANKS.

are you not wanting to try out our 1.25" stock rims are what around 5.25" BS so the spacers should give you an equal of 4" BS.. that should be fine.

Along with Wheel Bearings having excess Stress put on them because of extending out the Leverage applied to them, Wheel Spacers double the amount of Lug Nuts that can come loose or need to be removed. They make twice as much that could go Wrong and the added Worry to check the Lug Nuts and the Nuts holding the Spacers on a bit more often than you normally would.

Also, you will put more Wear and Tear on your Steering Components. Any Offset (Spacers or/and Backspacing) will wear them out quicker. It's not really a big problem unless you put huge Tires on.

It's the excessive Weight of the Wheel/Tire/Spacer Combo coupled with the Offset that will wear out the Steering Components and Wheel Bearings quicker.

If it is a Rubbing problem in Turns, try putting a Washer or two onto the Steering BumpStop. IMHO

what cher said, adjust your steering stops, if thats the only place you rub. you will probably need new bolts to extend them out far enough.

Also, you will put more Wear and Tear on your Steering Components. Any Offset (Spacers or/and Backspacing) will wear them out quicker. It's not really a big problem unless you put huge Tires on.

It's the excessive Weight of the Wheel/Tire/Spacer Combo coupled with the Offset that will wear out the Steering Components and Wheel Bearings quicker.

If it is a Rubbing problem in Turns, try putting a Washer or two onto the Steering BumpStop. IMHO
Thats a good point if he was going for some ridiculous amount of backspacing, but he will basically be going to 4'' of backspacing which is one of the most common BS run on Cherokees.

There will be no significant amount of extra stress on anything.

Why not get some new steel wheels with the right amount of BS. Spacers are good if you already have a nice set of wheels, but since you are running stock wheels you may as well get some new ones. Basic black steel wheels are around $40 per wheel.

whats the difference between 1.5" spacers and back spacing that moves the tires out the same amount?

the strain is still moved further out, and the steering still has more work to do... the center of the rubber will be moved out whether he uses stock tires + spacers OR back spaced rims.

other than the addition of studs to come loose I don't see the difference.

I added 3 small washers to the steering stops and that fixed my problem... Now, I noticed some tire-rubbing marks on the inner-rear area after some mild wheeling. I guess it's time to get new wheels with correct back-spacing ....(or spacers).

I added 3 small washers to the steering stops and that fixed my problem... Now, I noticed some tire-rubbing marks on the inner-rear area after some mild wheeling. I guess it's time to get new wheels with correct back-spacing ....(or spacers).

Cool... Better Wheels with less Back Spacing then Spacers. IMHO

Along with Wheel Bearings having excess Stress put on them because of extending out the Leverage applied to them, Wheel Spacers double the amount of Lug Nuts that can come loose or need to be removed. They make twice as much that could go Wrong and the added Worry to check the Lug Nuts and the Nuts holding the Spacers on a bit more often than you normally would.

Another advantage you will see by getting new rims is the fact you can get a little bit wider ones. IMO 7in rims are a little narrow for a 11.5in tire. Wider rims will make your jeep feel more stable at highway speeds.

Back