• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked head

4.0 killa

NAXJA Forum User
Im currently replacing my xj's cracked head. iv got the new head insalled and am wondering about the rocker arm installation. I put the rockers assembly together but haven't torked it down yet my FSM says to put the #1 cylinder at TDC but there doesent seem to be any marks on the the crank shaft pully. Any help would be much appriciated

There's a notch on the inside edge of the harmonic balancer(side closest to engine).

Line the notch that gradon told you about up with the 0 mark on the timing cover, and check the pushrods on the intake. If they're even, the valves are both closed and you can run through torqing the ones the manual tells you to first (19 pound-feet, no consideration for "clearance" - hydraulic valvetrains run a theoretical zero clearance.) Then, follow the manual from there.

Which head did you just replace, and do you still have it?

Back