• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what coils do i use??

offroadman73

NAXJA Forum User
i am putting 1-tons and 36 in irocks on my 90 2-dr xj. my ft has no fenders and is dove nosed. strictly trail rig. no fancy heavy bumpers or winches on it. it is totally gutted--no doors, glass, or rear hatch. it is caged(internal). i am trying to keep it light as possible other than the axles. i want it low as possible! i was thinking r.e. 3.5 in coils(for the front) what do yall recommend? any pics? thanks!!!BRIAN

Id probably go for 4.5 or 5.5 in coils, because you will want up travel, unless your going to modify your wheel wells for the 36s or its chopped enough that the tire arnt in any kind of wheel well. The extra weight of the Iroks will help keep you up right. I just dont think imo you can get enough up travel easly with the 3.5s.

Far as I know RE is the softest but I want to say I recentaly heard Rustys new coils had some rediciously low spring rate, like stock. Other option is custom springs from your nearest spring shop, typically they are almost the same price as the big name COs like RE RC Rustys...

Well shit, now that we've named nearly every aftermarket spring, it should be obvious at this point. :D

Lift height is irrelevant. You can get the same lift with a long soft spring or a short stiff spring. What you want to be able to do with the rig is far more important.

Technically, the right way to do it is to establish your spring rate first based on your desired performance, and solve backwards to find a spring with the appropriate length to net your desired ride height. Or you can do what 99% of people do and just throw something in it and see what happens.

Back