• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C BLOWER FAN SPEED ISSUES... IT'S NOT THE RESISTOR....

sx250xl

NAXJA Forum User
So I had the common problem of all fan speeds quitting on me. I called the local jeep dealer and got myself a new blower resistor. Installed it today only to find that the fan still only works on it's highest setting. What should me next step be? I'm getting irritated with this thing. BTW I have a 1998 XJ Classic.

You have a bad relay.. When the blower is on high speed, it runs thru a relay.

Nick

Huh? where can I find this relay sir? I guess I'll start looking. I've always driven hondas and one nissan. I've lost transmissions, timing belts, and head gaskets, but have never had electrical gremlins like this jeep has.

Thanks...

You've lost transmissions driving hondas? Stop driving honda then:D

Seriously, thanks. This thread helped. I have the same issue w/my 96. At this point, I'm just glad the ac works, forget about the fan speed.:D

I'll be checking the fsm for the resistor location. Thanks. Good luck with yours, and welcome to the world of Cherokees.

I had a 90 300zx TT that blew out 5th gear while cruising at 70 once. I also lost a timing belt on that car. I lost a head gasket in a 90 CRX Si I had with 176k miles. I was running with no fans, no intake filter, a clogged cat, and hadnt changed the oil in 10k miles when it happened. I had a motor ready to drop in, so I decided to see how much abuse a d16 could take (in sum... A LOT) I once grabbed a handful of road debris, (you know that fine grit, leaves, and crap) and tossed it into the throttle body while yanking the throttle cable. It choked for a second, but kept running for a couple thousand until the head gasket went in a furious way.

About the Fan speed... I found the problem to be the connector to the actual blower resistor. The 4 pin connector had melted and distorted a little. I pushed the pin around with a screw driver and it now works again. If it happens again I'll just cut off the connector and leads at a junkyard somewhere. The resistor pack itself was fine, although a little rusted. It seems that the connector is yet another weak spot in the fine XJ electrical system.

You have a bad relay.. When the blower is on high speed, it runs thru a relay.

Nick

Thats news to me! And even if it is true, it does not solve his problem ans it works on High.

Last edited:
About the Fan speed... I found the problem to be the connector to the actual blower resistor. The 4 pin connector had melted and distorted a little. I pushed the pin around with a screw driver and it now works again. If it happens again I'll just cut off the connector and leads at a junkyard somewhere. The resistor pack itself was fine, although a little rusted. It seems that the connector is yet another weak spot in the fine XJ electrical system.

The problem is that the poor connection will continue to heat up and cook itself again.

Back