• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FML - Front whirring after driveshaft

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
I bought an XJ from some guy awhile back which didnt have a front driveshaft. So, I snagged one from a junkyard, had it lengthened, and yesterday I put it in. I took it for a drive, and I hear a sound that doesnt sound very good. It's not a clunking or clanking, more like something rubbing on something else while clicking softly. And, it gets faster the faster I drive. At about 5mph, you can't hear it though. It's definitely coming up front, and it didn't happen until I put the front driveshaft in. Am I staring at a busted front axle and the guy screwed me? I was hoping to get away without having to swap it for awhile but if this things toast them bye bye D30.

FML

Not much info.

Just for grins and giggles, take a look at the exhaust downpipe that runs from the exh. header. It should be partially flat or your driveshaft will rub it.

well since it only did it with the DS in, i would blame that and not the axle. if it was disco, it wouldnt spin and you wouldnt notice a difference with a shaft in or out. but since everything was spinning anyway and there was no noise, i wouldnt uspect the axle.

possible stretched t case chain? 2wd or 4wd? both?

Figured it out. Ujoint's caps came out so the thing was wobbling like crazy in there. *whew*

Thanks for the suggestions, it made me double think things and I went poking around!

Back