• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble.

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
so heres my situation. im sitting roughly at 6 inchs of lift. maybe a little more. i have a set of custom control arms, but they are still at a harsh angle. when i hit about 35 mph my wheels start to shimmy . some one told me it could be my ball joints. but i thought it was from my angles. anyone know for sure?

Before you get your butt flamed, I am going to say what is comming down the pipe............. There are about a bazillion threads here about your problem........... Search is your friend!! :D

A shimmy ain't DW. If you have to stop and clean out your shorts..... that's DW. If you think you might take out that little old granny in the next county... That's DW. If you're mildly uncomfortable... that's not DW.

As CR said, there's a metric boatload of threads about DW here. The angle of your control arms almost certainly isn't the issue, I drove my 94 at 6" with short arms to work yesterday at 70 MPH without any issue.

Check everything in the front suspension. Look for any loose TREs. Balljoints. Bearings. How's your alignment? What's your toe-in? Caster?

There isn't any single magic cause of DW.

Yes, search. And check the lower end of your track-bar at the axle mounted bracket. Chances are the hole is wallowed out. Easy fix is to match-drill a piece of 3/16" plate and weld it atop the factory bracket.

FWIW...
I have two Xj's
one with a 6.5" lift, short arms, and 33's and never had a lick of death wobble. (knock on wood)

the other has a 3" lift stock arms,30x9.5" tires and stock everything, and it can't get rid of the DW.

and I have read every thread on this site about death wobble yes there are hundreds.
DW is a mean beast if you have it. and i have come to the conclusion that tires are a HUGE contributing factor. An even remote tread striation, or strange lug pattern on the tread and it causes the vibes to be bad and deadly or mild and annoying.

Back