• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it worth it?

J Money

NAXJA Forum User
Just looking for some opinions...

I have a Dana 35 in my XJ. I added the Superior Super 35 Axle Kit with a Detroit Locker. Is it worth adding an axle truss kit, or should I just get a whole new rear set up? I hate to waste the money I already spent. However, I do want to pre run this biotch... So whatever it takes.

Open for ideas. Thanks dudes.

honestly my D35 lasted through 2 XJs before i rippied the pinion out. my jeep originally had a D44 that was spooled. that died really quick, it just depends if you have the money in your axle why not run it? i really doubt your going to put the same stress on an axle shaft prerunning as you would wheeling.

be nice to it and your 35 will live a long time. if you start flooring it all over the place you will severly weaken the shafts and eventually twist and crack them, especially with a locker. i would truss it, take it easy, and start shopping for a 44/8.8 or even an 8.25 to build up as you have spare time/money.

9 inches of pure beef....:laugh3:

DSC00295.jpg

i currently got the 8.25 27spline and im a little afraid my self when this thing will go. I think im going to get the 8.8 just because its a project for me to do and rear disk brakes seem like a nice incentive. By the way speaking of 8.8s when looking for one for a prerunning jeep LSD a good idea or a bad one?

I feel kind of weird saying this... nice rear end dude.
You don't need to feel bad or self-conscious. Haven't you read the news? It's ok to be out now.

Sicko,...
:D

J Money,

I think you need to honestly look at how you will actually be using your Jeep. If you are seriously going to use it as a prerunner, I wouldn't waste any more money on the d35 and just find an xj d44. If your just messing around, then just keep the d35 as is.

If your racing go currie 9 inch.

Trussing a d35 is just throwing away money you could have put into a better rear end.

J Money,

I think you need to honestly look at how you will actually be using your Jeep. If you are seriously going to use it as a prerunner, I wouldn't waste any more money on the d35 and just find an xj d44. If your just messing around, then just keep the d35 as is.

If your racing go currie 9 inch.

Trussing a d35 is just throwing away money you could have put into a better rear end.

I think you're totally right, but that isn't the answer I wanted to hear :)

I do plan on using this as a pre runner eventually building out a full Jeepspeed. Since I already have the axles and locker... what if I just truss it and wait till it breaks? I know that sounds lame, I just want to get my $$ worth out of the Axles and Locker.

I had a Currie 9" in my 5.0 so I will go that route in the future, I would just rather spend my money on a cage right now.

If I were you, I would put the d35 out on the classifieds or try to part out the axles and locker. At least you can get some of your $$ out now vs. having no $$ when it breaks.

I do plan on using this as a pre runner eventually building out a full Jeepspeed. Since I already have the axles and locker... what if I just truss it and wait till it breaks? I know that sounds lame, I just want to get my $$ worth out of the Axles and Locker.

I had a Currie 9" in my 5.0 so I will go that route in the future, I would just rather spend my money on a cage right now.

Here are a couple of thoughs....

Your Super 35 kit will work well if you are good and kind to it, that being said, you could more effectively spend your money. Here is how I would do it:

A truss will run somewhere in the range of $150-$300 installed. Use that money to buy Dana 44 or a Chrysler 8.25 (29 spline). If you are seriously planning to eventually race, buy the 9inch.

Then, sell all of the Super 35 kit including the locker, those fund should help you cover a portion of you build, whether it is a 8.25, a D44 or a 9inch.

If I were you, I would put the d35 out on the classifieds or try to part out the axles and locker. At least you can get some of your $$ out now vs. having no $$ when it breaks.

Haha Looks like you beat me to it.

Here are a couple of thoughs....

Your Super 35 kit will work well if you are good and kind to it, that being said, you could more effectively spend your money. Here is how I would do it:

A truss will run somewhere in the range of $150-$300 installed. Use that money to buy Dana 44 or a Chrysler 8.25 (29 spline). If you are seriously planning to eventually race, buy the 9inch.

Then, sell all of the Super 35 kit including the locker, those fund should help you cover a portion of you build, whether it is a 8.25, a D44 or a 9inch.

thats pretty beef, is it the currie "jeepspeed" 9 inch?

Nope, I bought the housing and the axles from Quick Performance in Iowa. The axles are 31 spline Moser's, And the housing was set up to my width with the late model bearing ends so I could retain my exploder rear brakes. I then cut a big as hole in the bottom in an effort get more ground clearance. I measured before I shave it, and after, I had almost 2.5 inches more of ground clearance.

I thought about getting an axle from currie, but this route was cheaper by 300 bucks. It does have a currie centersection with richmond gears and a full case 31 spline detroit. All of which I already had wating to go in.

Back