• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad chatter!

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1987 XJ 4.0 that was converted to a AX15 3 years ago. 6.5 lift, SYE, 4.56 gears, and 33's. If I take off from a start and let the clutch out I will get a horrible shake that seems to be coming from the clutch. It gets worse the more I let the clutch slip at higher RPM's. If I take off and keep the RPM's under 1,000 it is hardly noticeable. It also seems to get worse when my Jeep gets warmed up or if it is hot. If it is hot outside sometimes it will want to die for a second right when I start moving and it starts shaking then 95% of the time it doesn’t die completely and starts driving again. If I don't feather the clutch when it is hot it can be so bad that the transmission and transfer case will bounce and hit the underbody of my Jeep. It will shake my whole center counsel. Also once the Jeep is warmed up if I set my foot on the clutch pedal I can feel it slightly pulsating. Any ideas, a year ago the pilot bushing was replaced, the flywheel resurfaced, master cylinder replaced, and the clutch still looked brand new even though it is 10 years old.

It could be a warped or irregular surface on the flywheel or a damaged or warn clutch or possibly a broken finger on the pressure plate.

Of course I could be completely full of it.

As metal heats up, it expands and the clutch plate grabs the metal surface easier.

Can you pull out the folk and look inside of the bell housing to see anything? I have not had to do this myself in many years and not on a Jeep, so I don't know if it would help.

Back