• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'84 2.5 carter YFA carb/Nutter bypass

wilco40

NAXJA Forum User
hi out there- am i the only damn fool trying to get rid of the mix needle mess on my 84 xj? i cant be the only one left sick of overrich mixture, crap intown mileage, etc. yes i know it runs in closed loop in town!! nice enough old rig, got a beast 86 xj for work, the 84 is for going to the big city for groceries and beer. frustrated, help!!!

Having a reliable beer fetcher is important.......

I did the "Nutter bypass" after swapping the YFA for a Weber progressive kit (not sure which version is in Joe's ad but it looks like a good price) on my '85 2.5. At that point the computer was not really controlling anything so the bypass had no noticeable effect.

I liked the Weber but retired the XJ last summer after 23 years with relative few miles on the new carb. I did keep the Weber if anyone can use it.

It's late and I have to get up tomorrow for an out of town trip but would be happy to try to answer any questions about the conversion -- might be a few days.

After some miles I installed a Holley pressure regulator -- couldn't tell a lot of difference at local highway speeds but might make a difference at 70+ interstate speeds.

albundy-ok thanx . i just popped in the hi alt jumper today- still stinx at idle but seems to run a little leaner around town-stay tuned

pelican- thanx how much for the weber? btw doesnt any other 1bbl carter interchange with the EPA approved/aborted YFA? wilco40

Back