• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise from bell housing.. transmission expert needed

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
I have a knocking noise coming from the transmission bell housing. I have replaced the flex plate and torque converter which did nothing for the sound. This sound was also present with the previous engine and I found nothing in the current engine to create this sound. It is present in P, N, R, D, 3, 1-2 gears. It seems like it gets louder when the vehicle is driven instead of just brought up to temp while sitting. Fluid was replaced recently and old fluid looked good. Nothing found in pan. All bolts are tight.

I have a small video of the sound:
http://jeep.blackonyx.net/stroker/vids/tranny.mov

Any ideas?

-Chris

Last edited:
Input shaft bearing? Exhaust hitting the x-member? Dunno Chris, but I'm sending you some of my Jeep Carma, cause you've always got an issue.

Yes, AW4, 2000 XJ. And yes, its in Reverse too.. typo. Its not the exhaust hitting anything. How would i go about checking the input shaft bearing? Is it part of the pump?

I always have some kind of weirdness going on with my XJ. I think its cursed.

Oh.. and I had an AAMCO check the transmission out and they didn't' find anything.. they suggested replacing the torque converter.

Using a mechanic's stethoscope it can only be heard in the bell housing, not in the block nor the transmission. When I had the transmission out I saw no signs of anything making contact.

Last edited:
Does the TC lock up at highway speed? Could be the lockup clutch broken.

Flexplate bolts are tightened to spec?

only the pump torque converter and flexplate are the only thing moving in any position. are you sure the flexplate is torqued rite to the crank? a heavy knock like that sounds a lot like a cracked flex plate or loose on the torque converter. if you took the bolts out on the flex plate to torque converter, would it spin freely?

Suggestions?

I'm thinking of picking up a used AW4 and putting that in, as I don't see how anything else could make the noise besides the transmission.. maybe bent input shaft or bent oil pump drive? The local salvage yard has one with 89,000 miles on it for $250.

my buddy got his transmission rebuilt two days ago and it just started making that noise as well.

How much play should be in the input shaft, both front and rear and up and down? As it is I can move it in and out of the transmission and up and down, both have an audible click sound.

Bump.
I have just developed a mid-to-low frequency sounding knock that can't be heard in the engine area, only inside the Jeep. It quiets down when rpm rises, but is definitely audible at idle. I did just get the oil changed.

Tranny...?

Well, after going through the engine with a fine tooth comb, 2 flex plates, 3 torque converters, and two transmissions the sound is still there.

Another video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=153_r38bn9M

Its there at idle, in P,N,R,D,3,1-2. When the engine is cold it isn't there, but after it is hot the sound happens. It s most noticeable at idle, but either doesn't get any louder or goes away when rev'd. At low speed cruising I think it is present, but not sure as it never gets louder.

Last edited:
Talyn, I'm pretty sure I have the same thing going on that you do....I can't figure it out for the life of me either. I can't get to your videos at the moment, but mine sounds kinda like marbles rattling around inside the bell housing....

Back