• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airplane Hill is open for buisness

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
:clap: as many have heard They have completed the reconstruction of Airplane Hill, which has been closed down for years. add one more awesome trail to the TSF area ! thank you cascade cruisers ! and thank you ODF !

from ODF:

We are extremely happy to announce that OHV trail #16d – Airplane Hill is open!

This triple black diamond trail features boulder challenges at the trail entry points and two white knuckle boulder hill climbs. There’s a bail out route around the interior boulder challenges and a cable winch point to support folks daring enough to make the final climb. The trail received rave reviews over the past weekend from a wide variety of folks from the four-wheel drive community.

We’d like to thank the Cascade Cruisers for their hard work and dedication to this project. From redesign to construction the rebuild of Airplane Hill was made possible by the Cascade Cruisers who partnered with the Oregon Department of Forestry through the Adopt-a-Trail program. The Cascade Cruisers worked with ODF to complete the design work and donated more than a hundred hours of volunteer labor and equipment time to implement the on-the-ground construction of the trail.

Airplane Hill is one of the trails that will close seasonally each year once the heavy rains start. However, local 4x4 clubs donated, built, and installed gates at the entry points to this trail so that when there are good, dry weather stretches during the winter months, the trail can easily be opened to the public.

Enjoy the trail and have a safe holiday weekend!

Stephanie A. Beall
Recreation Coordinator
Tillamook State Forest

I read about this on pnwjeep, i went to check it out last month, but it was gated off pretty well. cant wait to go see it.

Rod, any word on when universty firebreak is re-opening?

airplane1.jpg

airplane3.jpg

airplane7.jpg

Thread revival.

For those who have seen or ran Airplane hill, it looks like ODF/Cascade Cruisers made some progress at the work party on Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1jFYIw2xKI

Where the rig is parked at the bottom is where the middle "filter" starts just below the hill climb. Looks like it will be a crawl to the top. Can't wait for summer to see what they've done.

Because you can never have too many pictures...

GlueNTape on the middle filter.
IMG_0032.jpg

Approaching the ledge climb, which is about where the loader is in the vid.
IMG_0033.jpg

Up the ledge onto the hillclimb.
IMG_0034.jpg

Overall shot of the main obstacle (tires pictured are 39.5"s). Now just imagine a bunch of boulders going up the hill.
IMG_0136.jpg

It's going to be interesting to see what the new improvements will do.

Ran bottom and top filters last year sometime... decided to leave the middle of the trail to those more equipped! Didn't want to hear that "snap" from the li'l D35 out back! Was with the same group as in the other pics...

phonepics057.jpg

phonepics022.jpg

phonepics008.jpg

phonepics039.jpg

phonepics002.jpg

Thats Awesome !

That is my favorite trail!

I bet they added more to stop the erosion on the hillside. I can't wait to run it again.

Back