• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy OEM skids?

winkosmosis

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to get a an OEM front skid and gas tank skid but I'm having trouble finding them. I'm pretty sure I will have no luck in junkyards around here, since Houston is just not an offroading city.

So far I haven't found any online retailer that sells the front skid. I did see one site selling the gas tank skid for $109, but like an idiot I didn't bookmark and now can't find it.

If the the front one is unobtainable, how does Rusty's compare? Does it cover as much? Is it much heavier? Stronger?

oem is dealer only and all the dealers are out of them.

only skids available are aftermarket or junkyard.

i found front, gas tank, and transcase at junkyard but had to lay in mud to get them off.

edit: looks like i was wrong.

Only for a few parts will those for the '97+'98s not fit a '99 (and they were so minor, I can't even remember what those instances are).

EDIT: With skids you're totally fine with anything labelled for '97+'98.

Just noticed that gas tank skid's part number is
S-52001512
I wonder if that's just what the site uses or what.. I guess I should call to make sure tomorrow

Edit: DOH!! Searched for the PN 52001512 on moparpartsexpress and it's the skid for the 1984-1996. I will need to call and cancel

A gas tanks skid from a 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee will fit a 1997-2001 XJ Cherokee if you open up two of the mounting holes about 1/4". Several local XJ's are using these.

I am totally appalled!

Collision Catalog - Jeep
Fuel system - Fuel system components - Skid plate Skid plate - Station wagon 1984 - 1996 $179.00 End Price: $121.90

Station Wagon! WT? What are they thinking!

Last edited:
82202851 Apparently it seems to replace 52018009 (Front Skid for '96 XJ) I'm not sure I want to take a chance and order this for my XJ

Front suspension - Front axle and carrier - Skid plate - 4wd 2001
$70.00 Final Price: $52.92

Last edited:
If it says the PN replaces the previous one, it should work on the 1996 right?

I called discountjeepparts and cancelled my order for the fuel tank skid. It really is the wrong one. They said they will update the description to say 1984-1996

I am totally appalled!

Collision Catalog - Jeep
Fuel system - Fuel system components - Skid plate Skid plate - Station wagon 1984 - 1996 $179.00 End Price: $121.90

Station Wagon! WT? What are they thinking!

I wish my ins. company would consider it a station wagon. I'd get cheaper rates. Oddly, all of the City of Toledo's XJs do get listed as station wagons for ins. purposes. Maybe I should look into that.

Guess what... moparpartsamerica.com doesn't have the front skid. No right nutstrip for a hitch either (wanted to replace the old rusty one). I did get an order through for a left nutstrip though

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately the parts have been discontinued by Chrysler and are no longer available. No charges were applied.

www.moparpartsamerica.com ..... Toll Free 888-272-4596

Collision Catalog - Jeep
Front suspension - Front axle and carrier - Skid plate Skid plate - 4wd 2001 1 $52.92 $0.00 $52.92 Status: Unavailable : Collision Catalog - Jeep
Fuel system - Fuel system components - Reinforcement Reinforcement Right - Station wagon 1984 - 1996 1 $22.72 $0.00 $22.72 Status: Unavailable :

Last edited:
I've been poking around a couple of Houston junkyards, no XJ or ZJ skids yet.

Back