• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking of a 4.5 RE EXPRESS LIFT...

GrooGruxKing

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I was wondering the cost of install for a 4.5 inch RE EXPRESS Lift. Does a lift that big require longer driving shafts and such? What size lift doesn't require any bigger parts? I have a 2000 Jeep XJ and want to do some offroading and such.

Give me some suggestions.

James

I'm thinking a 3.5 would be better!

depends on why you think better, because of the cost of a SYE?

RE kits usually sit higher then their advertised price, but on the 2000, you need to deal with vibs if they happen. even at 3.5 you will most likely get vibs.

other things to reduce vibs are a transfercase drop or axle shims.

in your first post, what do you mean by "bigger parts"

I've been running a RE 4.5 Superflex kit for a couple of years now and love it. DId an SYE for $90.00 using a Powertrain Industries CV yoke, (p/n 3103-27CV) and a cherokee double cardin drive shaft. No vibs and has held up well.
Recently took it up an additional 1" and all the drive line is still working great. The RE 4.5 is a great kit just make sure you spend the extra money for the rear leaf springs, don't do the add a leaf.

Pic right after the RE 4.5 lift was installed.
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/spatag/CHerokee/DSCF0880.jpg

Pic after ACOS and 8.8 with U-bolt eliminator +1" Kit.
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/spatag/Scuff/DSCF0014.jpg

You will be happy with the RE4.5 good on road manners and flexs great off road.

spxj is right. the main advantages of the 4.5" over the 3.5" kit are the supplied parts and optional upgrades. i got my 4.5" with all the goodies because i believe you should do it once and do it right. go with the 4.5"

groo-

i got the 3.5. i'm happy with it- but it's also my dd and the wife would be less than happy to drive something that tall. EXPECT the SYE- vibes in a '00 are pretty much a given from what i've researched. i have a '00 too.

if you're planning on doing high clearance trails or adding a bunch of heavy accessories like steel bumpers and tire carriers- think taller. i have my jeep setup for expeditioning and long otr trips to new mexico and am very pleased.

you shouldn't have to pay anyone to install for you. it's a weekend install with the right tools and you can only benefit from knowing what's going on under there anyways. it's just metal.

regardless of the lift you choose- think anjustable trac bar b/c drilling for that new position- you have only one chance to get it right (i didn't) and will be better off for having something stronger.

and also follow spxj's advice on getting the full leaf packs.

good luck.

Last edited:
I have 5"s of Lift. However, I have a '96 XJ.

As I understand it a 2000 XJ is a little more Temperamental when it comes to Lifting it.

I have NO SYE or "Special" Driveshaft. I use the Stock Rear Driveshaft. You may try it out with a TC Drop and see how it goes. An XJ usually doesn't need an SYE until 4"s of Lift. With a TC Drop, you would essentially be at 3.5" at the TC.

If you do have Vibration... do a SYE and Driveshaft. IMHO

I had the RE 3.5" kit on my 98 and loved it. I went that way because, like you, I didn't want to do the sye, etc.

However, since then I've ended up going up to 6" with a long arm setup and have replaced everything and done the sye, etc.

In all honesty, you're prob. better off doing it all at once and going with the 4.5". You'll want to go higher down the road anyway! And with that kit you will already have a very good platform for upgrading in the future.

And the sye is really cheap. Spend $90 on the RE hack-n-tap and $50 for a yoke adaptor and get a front driveshaft from an auto cherokee (cheap at junkyard) and you have it done right there. Easy to install also. I'm at 6" and did that type of sye and it's working great. It's also nice to have the same driveshaft front and rear in case one breaks.

That's my advice.

Do your lift once and do it right...RE 4.5

I know a number of XJ owner that have done more than one lift on their rigs including me. I did a 3" that only lasted me not even a year, so I wish I would have saved time and money and done the RE 4.5 kit up front. :thumbup:

hey Groo i have the 4.5 with no sye. not sure if the newer are different as far as the length from the tcase to the rear end but mine is an 87. its a good lift flexs nice too.

My suggestion is a search. There's lots of great info on lifting your XJ and what's needed in these here forums.

I have a 96. I had to get an sye cause the vibes were so bad. (luckly someone on my chapter was selling one) I would say go with the 4.5 You may be able to get away with shims and a TC drop but i doubt it. Maybe even try the extended slip yoke.

Back