• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding a 8.25 lsd

nwo98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I want to weld the spiders in my 8.25 with 4.88s and a factory lsd. half the guys i talk to say just do it and others say it is not possible to do unless i change the carrier to an open one. anybody know for sure. money is tight and i don't want to waist the oil if i can weld it .........thanks

If it were me, I'd sell the LSD and get a non LSD 8.25. You should be able to make a profit on it.

I can't see why welding an LSD would make it any better than a welded non LSD.

uh well hell i don't no but i am in North Western ontario canada ...........if you want it that bad i am sure we can do something

First off: :twak: second, if your going to destroy something then destroy a piece of crap d35 instead. My opinion is that you should sell the LSD and spend a little money on a cheap locker, you'll be much happier.

well you guys are certanly trying to talk me out of this ...............i will give it some more thought but . I think the whole thing is going to snap when i get my 37 boggers next year so i want to put in a 44 then

37" boggers and a 44 certainly are not exactly 'light' on a budget

you'll find the general consensus here is that your 8.25 is special, and there are many who would pay good money for such a set up

but at the end of the day, at least you'll be informed before your ruin a beautiful thing

Is the LSD really that bad? The locked diff will suck on the road, and on trails, whereas a LSD is useful everywhere

Seriosuly? how does a locked diff "suck" on the trial?

You will need an open carrier and the spider's to weld it up. Another option is to rebuild the trac-loc with extra friction disks in the packs,it wont be locked but rather a really really tight LSD. I say if its a toy just weld it the hell up.

If you weld it just remember that the axles are c clip, and if you snap an axle there is nothing to hold it in. Lincolin lockers are extremly hard on stock axles. Just food for thought, would'nt want to here you got stranded.

Back