• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pulley exploded?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
So I was happily driving on the freeway yesterday and suddendly as I'm changing lanes the steering started to fight me and I heard POP and check gauges came on..... I made my way off to the shoulder and found out that my power steering pully grenaded (cheap plastic POS).

I figured it might have been the pump that went out but the shaft seems to be spinning pretty smoothly, fluid is there, no leaks. I considered that it might have been a belt that's too tight, but it's a new belt and when I installed it, I used a tensionmeter to verify proper tension per the FSM.... so.... any other thoughts as to what could be the cause of it? I'll probably dig into it on Sunday and it'd be nice to have all the part ready.

I worked at the parts counter for about 15 months, and on my own cars. Haven't seen a plastic PS pulley before. Metal ones aren't commonly stocked - they last about forever.

If your local auto parts house has another plastic one, that's an indication you may want to shop further for a replacement metal pulley. Metal pulleys have to be pressed on with a screw installer, they are that tight on the shaft.

Anyone with instructions on installing a plastic pulley? This is something I'll mention at work.

btw, I am not 100 % sure its plastic, but it was thin, flimsy and light when I was examining it yesterday... it's possible its some funky light weight alloy.

Let me know if you need help on Sunday Remi. I have the PS pump off my 98 and I also have a pulley tool.

Yeah it's plastic, I went through similar emotions when I was doing some swaps. The pump is standard saginaw design though so if you feel like it you can go look through junkyards at older GM for a pulley of the same size.

If you buy a pulley from a yard they will probably sell you the whole pump with the pulley still on it.

FYI, use a three-jaw puller by grabbing the hub in the center of the pulley. If you try to pull it off from the outside edge you'll warp it.

You the man! I'll let you know.

Remember when I rolled on the 'Con in '06? That PS pulley was definitely metal, as it bent almost 90 degrees.

The tool I have is specifically made for removing and installing PS pullies.

Back