• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rally jeep

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
im starting over again and im starting from scratch, but im also going a diferent route to the go fast jeep.

im thinking a small lift 1-1.5 OME, 30" maybe 31's tires, wheels with some serious off set, sways bars front and rear, poly bumps all around, and limit straps, but im sure i wouldnt need them along with fiberglass fenders. but it would look cool :D and a cage for safety.

so anywho flame away while i look for a jeep

-Ian

I think it would look cool. Its called North American XJ Association. Not North American Mud bog and Rock Crawling XJ Association. Everybody on has their own way of building their XJ and thats all that matters. We are all on the site because we love our XJ's one way or another so it isnt anyones place on here at least to say its a dumb idea to waste a Jeep. I for one like the idea. My buddies and I are getting together as a small group and cutting a few small rally courses in densly wooded properties at each our houses ranging from 2 acres to about 40 acres and we are going to have a 500 dollar total build cost limit on our rides before the saftey equipment. We plan on 2wd cars trucks or suvs under 3.0 so I plan on a 4banger XJ as my ride as well. Courses are going to be smooth packed surfaces just turns ranging from long sweeping to tight 180s and a few small jumps and whoops here and there.

go for the np242 transfer case

maybe go to a 16" rim with a lower profile, wider tire.

Vanco disc brake kit up front, disc conversion in the rear.

I just got interested in something like that myself: Upcountry suspension or maybe 1" lift. Stiff springs and heavy sway bars. I'm thinking of a FIA legal roll cage

If you actually want to rally it, they have some pretty strange rules(I'm working through them now) The worst one of the bunch is starting drivers are limited to 2wd and about 3 liters(yep thats a 4-banger :eeks1: )

You might want to talk to this guy:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=49392
He just posted this a couple weeks ago:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=998367
Here's his web site:
teamhazardrally.com

Also might want to maybe look at the rule book here:
rally-america.com If you think you want to go racing

im starting over again and im starting from scratch, but im also going a diferent route to the go fast jeep.

im thinking a small lift 1-1.5 OME, 30" maybe 31's tires, wheels with some serious off set, sways bars front and rear, poly bumps all around, and limit straps, but im sure i wouldnt need them along with fiberglass fenders. but it would look cool :D and a cage for safety.

so anywho flame away while i look for a jeep

-Ian

There are a few of them on the mid eastern side of the country, in Mich, and Minn.. I would stay with a 1.5" lift, get some good shocks, and look for bigger teams used rally tires. ALL of the Rally jeeps I have seen are stock or low lift. Look at the rules for group 2 and group 5.. I have always wanted to do a rally Cherokee, but I have been having way too much fun with the Evo.. You should also look over on Specialstage.com for more input..

Here's a couple pic's of Clive (owner of Jeepspeed) Skilton's Rally Jeep. You have to see it up close to really appreciate it. The interior of the Jeep is bad-a$$.

clive.jpg

clive2.jpg

wow, i would have expected to get flamed on my old chapter (red river)
so i think i have a good set up for the jeep now, im not too sure on the suspension and what can be down, but im most defiantly going to be looking for a 2.5L XJ. which means i might have to settle for a 4 door :p theres not many 2.5L XJ's for sale around atlanta..

It looks fun and I think it would be a great idea. My friend Dan down here has a 2.5L two-door 5 speed that I want real bad to actually do for this kind of idea, although I want more of an old-school stadium truck look.

Could just be a slight leak, my old '98 XJ engine had a tiny head gasket leak, just enough to foul one of the spark plugs every once in a while. Still annoying though.
I like that Jeep, I wish I could find a '97+ 2 door 5 speed but I don't care for the steering wheel or the dummy gauges. I guess those could be changed easily though, but still, it is difficult to find one.

Back