• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is it possible to make shackle mounts with stock front bumper

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
what i want to do is somehow make a front tow point while still utilizing my stock front bumper. just like the factory tow hooks, only i want to make something for shackles instead. maybe use something like the reinforcement mounts they use for aftermartket bumpers

idk i just kind of like my front bumper, i dont need a winch and im interested in a tow point that will do better than the standard hooks w/o the expense, anyone think this is possible?

You would have to put in way to much work to add frame plates in the front that go through the front bumper with a hole for a shackle, just buy a set of tow hook brackets or a front hitch.

-Alex

what i want to do is somehow make a front tow point while still utilizing my stock front bumper. just like the factory tow hooks, only i want to make something for shackles instead. maybe use something like the reinforcement mounts they use for aftermartket bumpers

idk i just kind of like my front bumper, i dont need a winch and im interested in a tow point that will do better than the standard hooks w/o the expense, anyone think this is possible?

You can also purchase a backbone system from detours that doesn't have the winch plate. See this thread for details:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244136693

Get a length of bar stock and drill some holes. I think Rusty's has something similar.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

But is it really an upgrade? Takes more effort to use them, they can be stolen, and they rattle right?

because:

is it really an upgrade?
IMO their stronger becaused its a closed loop, its safer because the strap cant slip off

Takes more effort to use them
what effort? going down, unscrewing the pin sliding the sling inside it and putting the pin back in and tightening, and if someone is winching you out, its quicker in a sense to where the winch hook can just clip around my shackle. i figure your already stuck... what race are you in that you need a quicker method of being recovered?

they can be stolen, and they rattle right?
2 questions same reply, keep them inside ur cab until your ready to use them, then you wont have to worry about theft or rattling.

Get a length of bar stock and drill some holes. I think Rusty's has something similar.
similar idea, but the whole kit comes with everything except the d rings which i already own.
plus the kit looks pretty f'in stout, i could fab up some sort of support to tie the 2 mounts together in the middle so the force is applied to both sides instead of just 1

because:

is it really an upgrade?
IMO their stronger becaused its a closed loop, its safer because the strap cant slip off

Takes more effort to use them
what effort? going down, unscrewing the pin sliding the sling inside it and putting the pin back in and tightening, and if someone is winching you out, its quicker in a sense to where the winch hook can just clip around my shackle. i figure your already stuck... what race are you in that you need a quicker method of being recovered?

they can be stolen, and they rattle right?
2 questions same reply, keep them inside ur cab until your ready to use them, then you wont have to worry about theft or rattling.

similar idea, but the whole kit comes with everything except the d rings which i already own.
plus the kit looks pretty f'in stout, i could fab up some sort of support to tie the 2 mounts together in the middle so the force is applied to both sides instead of just 1

You aren't going to impress any chicks by keeping your shackles inside the cab :p

You aren't going to impress any chicks by keeping your shackles inside the cab :p

lol i'll put them on when i mall crawl then... just so i can impress the chicks, oh wait :hang: my girl would be PISSED if she found out about another chick riding in the passenger seat, so i had better keep my shackles in the cab :laugh3:

What do people have against hooks? Easier to use, and the strap won't fall out if you have the clips

I will no longer pull anyone who has tow hooks, only with D-rings.

Last run, I ruined both my to straps due to the hook going through the loop of the strap. One of the straps was an expensive WARN snatch strap, and it was the first time I had taken it out of the packaging to use.

With a D-ring, you don't have to worry about a strap falling off. A hook is not easier to use as you have to make sure the strap stays on, and those clips get bend and don't do anything after 1 run. Happened to mine when I had them on my front, as well as a few of my friends who have hooks.

Hooks are for people who want to give the appearance they go offroad. D-rings are for people who actually do.

I will no longer pull anyone who has tow hooks, only with D-rings.

Last run, I ruined both my to straps due to the hook going through the loop of the strap. One of the straps was an expensive WARN snatch strap, and it was the first time I had taken it out of the packaging to use.

With a D-ring, you don't have to worry about a strap falling off. A hook is not easier to use as you have to make sure the strap stays on, and those clips get bend and don't do anything after 1 run. Happened to mine when I had them on my front, as well as a few of my friends who have hooks.

Hooks are for people who want to give the appearance they go offroad. D-rings are for people who actually do.

My hooks have been working fine for me on every occasion I needed a tug. They have not destroyed a single strap. The clips have not bent.

How they are mounted also helps.

amen brother!! my xj is in stock form but yanno what that has never EVER stopped me from 4 wheeling my rig, i go more places than i'd say 50% of the other xj's on the road today, and most wranglers...

I might buy those shackle mounts, and put them where I have my hooks. I once had a guy try to pull me out of a spot(impossible to pull out of at that angle), he had a gigantic strap, and he yanked very hard. The front part of my hook actually broke off, was slung by his strap through his back window, embedded itself into his windshield frame, and shattered his windshield.

It was either a flaw in the hook's casting, or my XJ just felt like causing some damage to a Wrangler that day...

Back